A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 761

Coniraya

I know Ben was in the other team, coely, Metal Chicken, Candi and ...ummm..., no my memory fails me.

Galaxy Minstrels, Zomnker, not Wandering ones smiley - winkeye


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 762

Ormondroyd

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Witty, I know my reputation precedes me, but it was all a long time ago and I've given up drinking now. smiley - winkeye

The Atelier is already influencing my diet. After reading posting #733 from Kelli, I'd had a hankering for vegeburgers all afternoon. So I've just had some, following my own favourite recipe: go to frozen food section of supermarket, find smiley - burgers, bring home, grill.

Wow, there's no stopping the amazing running smiley - ant! Good luck for tomorrow, Amy! smiley - goodluck


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 763

Z

Oh gosh! I nearly added that you could also catch Hepatitis A from feltching.

I'm too shy to be a sex geek.

I'm also currently writing a Guide Entry on Syphilis. smiley - geek


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 764

Teuchter

Hi Ormondroyd

Toccata - I am indeed in deepest Hants and have passed on your best regards.
Give Glasgow a great, big sloppy smiley - kiss from me. I miss it.

I only managed 16.57% in the Geek Test - but am proud to be officially 'A Geek', though obviously only an amateur compared to some of my more learned friends.

I am fed up of this humidity and would like a muckle, great storm to come along and clear the air. All this build up of charged particles is making me wheezy.
Does anyone know if they're negatively or positively charged particles which precede a thunder storm? Some Geek must know smiley - biggrin - physics never was my strong suit.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 765

Teuchter

Z - please could you do an entry on what all 'those' words mean smiley - bigeyes
I only have a vague idea what one of them means. Or am I better not knowing?


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 766

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Not one for the Edited Guide, methinks smiley - biggrin.

Here's a good page about lightning, Teuchter. http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/estatics/u8l4e.html


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 767

Z

Glad to here there was a quiz team, I'll be there for the next meet, surgical finals or not.

Vegeburgers... well you can make them with burgamix, available from health food shops. I can't work out how to make them yourself to be honest.

We've had a couple of thunderstorms today, and it's still too hot (smiley - wah)

Teuchter, I think it's negatively charged partciles that proceed a thunderstorm.

And no, you really don't want to know what those words mean. Well I don't think I could explain it without getting moderated. Mind you I've got a handout from my last talk on the subject (given by me) I could post on OTD if you want.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 768

U195408

yeah, you don't want to know. I wish I didn't know.

Amy, that is an awesome site, thank you for posting that. Sometimes I really wish I gone into meteorology instead of Pchem. Maybe I can do that when I grow up. I love thunderstorms.

What do ants do to protect their hills from lightning?


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 769

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Ya, I'd keep the descriptions of some of those words off of the Guide. They would surely get modded, and for good reason.

Ain't slang wonderfull?


On Rain.. Salt Lake has had a very mild summer so far, and we had a vey large rainstorm last night. It failed to clear our air however. The smog is still here smiley - sadface


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 770

Coniraya

We've had the thunder, lightning but no rain. I suppose I shall have to go out and water the garden.

I haven't successfully managed vegeburgers for H, they always fall apart on the bbq. His favourite bbq food is large flat mushrooms with Boursin on top, and Quorn sausages.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 771

marvthegrate LtG KEA

OK caer, you have me wanting to make a portabella mushroom sarnie... Perhaps with a wine reduction glaze... Hmmm...
I think that I have the recipie bug.. This is off the cuff, so I don't know if it will be any good.

Reduce red wine and orange juice to a glaze.
Grill the prtabella caps with olive oil, then glaze with the above concoction... Serve with grilled pineapple...


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 772

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


We're having a proper monsoon season, at last, with thunderstorms most days and lovely cool evenings. Thunder in a mountain valley is awesome, with lots of echoes.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 773

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Lil, You've been to SLC as I recall. How big is the Bonita valley (hoping I have this right) in comparison to SL valley?


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 774

U195408

I love those lightning strikes where it becomes as bright as day momentarily.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 775

Teuchter

That was a great site Amy! Thanks for the link.

There was an interesting programme on Radio 4 a few months ago about 'life in an anthill' and there was a 'dramatised' piece about what all the ants do if their habitat is stricken by a sudden deluge. Ants can apparently survive for several days under water. Do we need an smiley - ant smiley with scuba-tank and flippers?

I've been very busy booking a short trip for Ma and myself to go to Devon and visit the RHS Gardens at Rosemoor. She's always wanted to go there and it's her birthday next week.
smiley.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 776

Hati

[Hati]


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 777

Titania (gone for lunch)

Regarding the pub quiz teams - I seem to remember that we tried to form this gargantuan Team Ant, but discovered that not even two tables pushed together would be enough to host everyone, so that's why we split up into two teams...

A thunderstorm woke me up this morning around 5 am - way too early...smiley - yawn

Hi Ormy!smiley - smiley~waves~


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 778

Hypatia

[Hyp]


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 779

Coniraya

And someone mentioned that it would be somewhat unfair to be 3 times the size of the other teams!


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 780

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

The radio series 'A Year in the Life of Ants' can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/lifeofants.shtml

Did you know that a third of the Earth's animal biomass is made up of ants? Well, a bit more than a third now that I've carb-loaded smiley - puffsmiley - silly.


Key: Complain about this post