A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 201

Sol

Teutcher, my Dad lost his job in his late 50s. Having already suffered a scare in his early fifties, I don't think he was very hopeful about the prospects of reemployment, which would have made things extremely tight. That was his only job since Uni. In fact he got a new job quite swiftly and him and my Mum are actually better off than before. He did have to make a fairly impressive career change, but I do wonder if the fact that there are no jobs for l;ife any more isn't swinging the balance back in favour of those with experience and bags of transferable skills. I mean the youth and enthusiasm thing were great when they were looking at keeping you for the next twenty five years or something, but I think people are waking up to the fact that those with a proven track record can be jolly useful if you're not. Especially as the kids'll move on without a backawrds glance as soon as they've got themselves trained up. I think the area my Dad shifted into (from a management engineerig job) were positively holding out for someone like him.

However, there was that horrible period of uncertainty to cope with. So I have every faith in your and Mr T's ability to come through this with shining colours. But that doesn't make the intervening period much easier. A smiley - hug for that. When I decided to move here I knew that it would end up ok, but I was in for about a year of hell. Almost bang on, but moaning about it at great length here relieved the pain, so a smiley - hug for everyone.

*yawn* Agapanthus, I blame you for giving me insomnia. It must be catching. However, it is Friday, the course is now finished bar the shouting. Yesterday we had assessors coming out of our ears, once on the day course and the other on the part time. Ours passed everyone and colluded in us giving out Bs left right and centre to boot (though not to Mr Lazy, who of course had 'organised' his portfolio by shoving everything in without making the least attempt to actually do anything as difficult as punching holes in the lose leaves and attaching them to the ring bider. Result, assessor picks up the file and papers spray all over the room. He got a pass, and he will never know how I fought to get him that. He thinks I was hard on him). I don't think some assessors like giving out the higher grades too much and get suspicious when you try to claim 'too many' but this one gave in without a fight when he saw what some of them could do in the lessons.

Then they decided that I was nominated for direct assesment on the evening course and, yes, result, my trainees hit their stride and pulled out some corkers so he could see exactly why we are claiming high grades for them too. I am the proud owner of an A grade trainee (subject to her not making a complete pigs ear of the rest of the course), and he seemed to think I knew what I was doing so if I have to pass the guy on that course who was failing (and so far he's improved although he's still an idiot) then I probably won't get a funny squiggle on my record book ('too lenient').

Oh dear. I do babble when I'm tired, don't I?


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 202

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Sol, teaching is hard work. I've fought for students who made an effort, and fought against the ones who did nothing. I think perhaps the best way to look at passing Mr. Lazy is at least he's no longer your problem, and if there's a second component, perhaps he'll understand just how much you did for him.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 203

Toccata

Marv, I didn't realise you were into real ale smiley - smiley Double Chocolate stout is wonderful smiley - drool

Ben, if you like Sean Bean, can I recommend the Sharpe series? much swashbuckling and uniforms smiley - winkeye decent storylines and other costumes as well.

I have an appointment scheduled for Monday afternoon, the local business advisory group to start me off on setting up my own brewery. I don't know how fesable it will be, especially as I don't intend to go down the make beer, sell it to pubs route, but we shall see.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 204

Mrs Zen

>> to start me off on setting up my own brewery... I don't intend to go down the make beer, sell it to pubs route, but we shall see

Um.

How many other routes are there? I mean breweries make beer, right? And people go to pubs to drink beer, right?

smiley - huh

smiley - biggrin

Sharpe? Been there, got smiley - drool all over the carpet!

B


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 205

Coniraya

Are those wiggly black lines you refer to floaters? They are harmless, just more apparent in certain circumstances such as bright or contrasting light and tiredness. However if they could be described as black lace curtains then they could be a sign of gluacoma. Always worth mentioning anything different about your vision at the next eye check up.
http://www.vis-ability.com/floaters/floaters.html

Sean Bean is securely locked up in the smiley - drool thread and is unlikely to make any appearances in Salonistas' dressing rooms smiley - winkeye

I'm not sure about Odysseus being portrayed as Keith Richards quite works for me. But Johnny Depp in his Chocolat role might.

MR, the difficulty at the moment is that it's such a new relationship, but J will have to get used to the ex being around at times, as he is D's dad. It comes as part of the lovely package that is you and he must accept that, but he also needs to feel that you are trying to make room for him too. It is very complicated when emotional baggage gets in the way, I know H struggled at times too, but he hung on and now No2 son says he is more fo a dad than his own ever was. No1 son would probably never admit it, but he recognises H's contribution to his stability too.

Teuchter, H says the construction industry is really picking up and Mr T should weight his cv towards experience, adaptability, flexibilty and use all contacts and network like crazy. Both brothers during periods of redundancy sent out over 500 cvs, so get in plenty of printer paper and envelopes! smiley - hug


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 206

Toccata

Yes but it is getting difficult to sell beer to pubs at a realistic price. Pub co’s demand an incredibly low price, and most pubs will only buy from big distributors lists. (You can get on the lists if you sell at near cost and there is no guarantee of sales)
Add to that, hobby breweries whose owners have enough money not to need to make a profit, and the whole business gets tricky.

I am looking to sell to the public direct, either in bottles or ‘draughts’ beer in carry outs. Glasgow has a lot of students, and students party smiley - winkeye

Not really sure of the practicalities that’s what this meeting is for.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 207

Mrs Zen

Good luck with that Toc. New business models are either acts of supreme genius, or else they only seem new, because they have been tried and failed.

Let's hope that yours is an act of supreme genius!

B


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 208

Coniraya

Is there a gap in the market, Toc? But as the saying goes: nothing ventured nothing gained.

It sounds a good idea to me, smiley - goodluck for the meeting.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 209

Toccata

there was a brewery doing similar, a few years ago, near where we live. There was a problem raised with a portion of the locals complaining about the brewery smell. 'parently there were petitions to keep the brewery open, and to close it, but the latter won.

Trouble is, you can still smell the big Tennants brewery around that corner of town. :Yes but it is getting difficult to sell beer to pubs at a realistic price. Pub co’s demand an incredibly low price, and most pubs will only buy from big distributors lists. (You can get on the lists if you sell at near cost and there is no guarantee of sales)
Add to that, hobby breweries whose owners have enough money not to need to make a profit, and the whole business gets tricky.

I am looking to sell to the public direct, either in bottles or ‘draughts’ beer in carry outs. Not really sure of the practicalities that’s what this meeting is for.
-/

I know my chances are slim, but I gotta try.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 210

Toccata

oops, missuse of the paste button. smiley - blush


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 211

Teuchter

Good Luck with your meeting Toccata!

Are you perchance in the West End of Glasgow? There used to be a micro-brewery in Anniesland I think?
But you mentioned Tennants so perhaps you're east of the city centre?
I'm trying to remember the name of a pub in Cathcart - ? Clockwork? I know the owner is really into proper beers.

T - feeling homesick for Glasgow


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 212

Toccata

the clockwork brewery is still going, it's run by one chap, and he is doing well.

We are in the Woodlands/ West End region, near Ishkys A701597
the brewery was in the next building, I don't know the name, as it was before my time.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 213

Z

Good luck Toc!


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 214

Teuchter

How will things work with the licensing laws Toccata? I'm sure that having been working in this area you'll know the ins and outs of how the system works.

I ask because my friends' son is trying to set up a Mobile Cocktail Bar business and is having all sorts of licensing difficulties. Apparently there's only one such venture on the east coast but nothing of that ilk in the west - yet.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 215

Toccata

It would be on an offsales basis, so no difference to an off-licence.
it's the premises that are licenced as well as the individual, so if they move, that must make matters more complicated.

I just need to work out weather I fancy having the brewery somewhere prominent and selling out of there, or passing the beer on to a third party.

Providing beer engines for parties though is something I have been thinking of.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 216

Z

Here's one more dedicated custormer, could you sell other sorts of real ale people also have difficulty getting hold of?


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 217

Toccata

If I go down the brewery in an off licence route, I will have to sell other beers, whiskys etc anyway to make ends meet.

I would love to sell all sorts of wierd & wonderful beers.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 218

Z

But it would have to be an off license wouldn't it? We couldn't use it for SRG meetings. I'd be a regular if I lived anywhere near you!

Slogan 'come and have a booze up in a brewary!'


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 219

Toccata

smiley - laugh I have been to a couple of pi$$-up$ in breweries but to organise them officially!

That gets really interesting on the licencing.


6DXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 220

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ- home sick]


Key: Complain about this post