A Conversation for Talking Point: White Lies?

Let them be kids!

Post 1

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Okay, this is my personal view, and this is not to say anyone with a conflicting view is wrong. Each to their own.

Mine were brought up believing in Santa. My eldest, now 11, knows the truth, and has not been mentally scarred, traumatised, or otherwise upset.
My youngest is 7. Yesterday she got a letter from Santa. It was actually bought from someone on Ebay for £1.99, it came personalised with her friends' names, and other details that only the "real" Santa would know... Her face was absolute magic as she read it.
Last Christmas morning, her first thought - before she opened the presents by the fireplace - was "He's been! Look, He's eaten the mince pie!"
Kids have to grow up too soon in this day and age. While they can, I like mine to believe in magic. I call it "Childhood". I accept it is a lie. However, when she dresses up as a Princess, that is also a lie. She isn't a Princess. Nor is she a nurse, when she puts that outfit on. It is make-beleive. It is FUN. It is childhood magic.
Lies are different. "I didn't do it". That is wrong, and we teach her the difference.
Santa is magical, a part of an active imagination. Until she turns to me, like my eldest did last year, and says "I want the truth - is there *really* a Santa?", I will let her believe, and stay amazed and thrilled a little bit longer.


Let them be kids!

Post 2

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

That's kinda my perspective as well, ... Let them be young, innocent and hopeful that the magical aspects of the world might be real. Yes, far too soon, they learn that the magic must be created, and there will be those who want to beat any beliefs out of them.

But until then, let the fairies, the friendly dragons, the ogres with heart, and Santa, be a part of their creative imaginations.

In the end, it's no more of a lie than ... well, ... so many common things that Daddy and Mommy have to try to meet as the young mind wraps itself around the world.


Let them be kids!

Post 3

BMT

Well said Hoggy. smiley - applause

I don't have kids of my own but I agree wholeheartedly that we're not allowing kids to be kids anymore. Too much molly-coddling, too much political correctness, all goes to take the adventure, excitement and fun out of being a kid these days. As for the risks in sense of kids being harmed when out playing in parks or wherever, its worth noting that the majority of crime or harm against kids is by someone close that they know. Its a rare thing for kids to be harmed by strangers despite the tabloid press suggesting otherwise.

I gave up scouting and working with youth groups simply because the H + S rules took all the adventure/excitement out of it.

Some parents are also responsible to a certain extent with this 'must keep up with the Jones' mentality and then take the easy option of getting their kids all the latest gadgets etc and for what? Mainly to avoid the responsibility of doing things with their kids.

The best phrase or sound bite that came from John Majors time as PM was, "Lets get back to basics" The sooner we do the better our society overall will be.

Its time the PC brigade and so called Liberal do-gooders were pushed to one side and let parents be parents and kids be kids.

smiley - cat


Let them be kids!

Post 4

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

I don't know how much a 'PC Brigade' has to do with things in this direction. It's just my opinion, but I think a lot of the changes that have happened in the last couple of decades are more the result of a more open media, and folks being more willing to report vile happenings. The public is much more aware of what happens with other people ... It's not just their close family. And a lot of stuff that 'just happened' for decades or millenia are simply wrong. That includes bad things with children at home, with relations, at school and church, all of it.

So yes, the world is now more aware. And in most zones that I am in contact with, they are trying to make things safer for the youth. But in the end, it does boil down to the responsibility of the parents ... to teach their own as to what is out there, how to be aware and reasonably careful without paranoia, ... And so many parents abdicate this responsibility, somehow believing that it is the school's and government's responsibility. Well, my take is simple: YOU made the child, YOU are responsible for his or her well-being.

And in the end, with my daughter and now my grandchildren, I see youthful imagination and belief in magical options as a good thing. It lets their minds wander and be open. Something that so many will try to stifle as they mature. So long as they keep a hint of it, ... smiley - sigh


Let them be kids!

Post 5

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

For the record...

My seven year old has just left a jam tart and a bottle of Grolsch for Santa, and a few carrots for Rudolph and co, along with a special poem she wrote just for Him.

I'll give her an hour, then "Santa" is off into the loft..ermm.. The North Pole, sorry, to get the presents out...

The magic is still alive in this household.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more