A Conversation for We Moved!

A point for discussion...

Post 41

26199

Hmmm. To me, the fact that you and people like you are worried about the wolves is more important than the wolves themselves, and a reason in itself to do something about it.

From what I've seen - and I admit to not having worked with animals much - humans have so much greater capicity for reason, understanding and consequently suffering than animals that I have no problem with considering the life of a person to be worth many millions of times more than the life of an animal.

In fact, to me, most animals get most of their worth from how people feel towards them.

The great thing about this philosophy is that it allows me to say 'okay, you're worried about these animals. That makes them important'. Meaning that, in fact, I agree with all of your conclusions...

...even if I got there by an almost entirely contradictary route.

There's an interesting philosophical point, actually: does it matter more what conclusions you arrive at, or how you arrive at them?

26199


extreme topic drift

Post 42

Ioreth (on hiatus)

How you arrive, definitely.

"The foremost reason for going from one place to another is to see what's in between." _The Phantom Tollbooth_


Key: Complain about this post

A point for discussion...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more