A Conversation for Thread of The Day

Nominations for the Thread of The Day for 26th August 2004

Post 1

Geggs

I know, I'm planning ahead, but I don't know when I'll be able to log on tomorrow, so I'm letting this sit here in anticipation.

Oh, and nominations before midday could be surpassed by a thread that ends up being rather more interesting in the afternoon, and my decision is final, unless I say otherwise.


Geggs


Nominations for the Thread of The Day for 26th August 2004

Post 2

Icy North

Hi Geggs,

It's tempting to give a sarcastic reply to your TOTD award here, but I'll be serious for once.

It started as a bit of a light-hearted experiment, but it became clear that it's very difficult to sustain sarcasm without drifting into insult. And it's very easy to rub people up the wrong way on this site. Having said that, I think the thread reads pretty well in the circumstances. You never know - I might use the idea to design a new board game or TV panel game (add it to the long list of pipe dreams). Don't forget you saw it here first.

Cheers,

Icy smiley - snowball


Nominations for the Thread of The Day for 26th August 2004

Post 3

Geggs

Quite true. Some where unable to avoid the decent into straight insult, which displays none of the cleverness sharply pointed sarcasm.

I did once read a list of new invented word, along with their definitions. One that sticks in the mind is sarchasm - the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.smiley - ok


Geggs


Key: Complain about this post

Nominations for the Thread of The Day for 26th August 2004

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more