A Conversation for BBC Radio Four

Peer Review: A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 1

Elentari

Entry: BBC Radio Four - A28968024
Author: Elentari - U202814

This is a Flea Market rescue. Hasn't needed much done to it, but as (to my shame) I'm not a Radio 4 listener there may be mistakes that I haven't picked up on.

EGWW thread: F8668460?thread=4997626
Original entry: A2491274


A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 2

Pinniped


I'm surprised how peripheral the EGWW comment about this Entry is. IMO, it needs a lot of work before it can do its subject justice. That subject is huge, venerable and worthy of a thorough historical account. This isn't it.

To sum up the Today program by mentioning just the names of Humphrys and Gilligan is a bit like describing the office of Prime Minister by exclusive reference to Tony Blair and the war in Iraq.

The Entry might be best approached as a Talking Point. Trouble is, it's self-referential on a BBC site, and it's too anglocentric. Trust me, though, Elentari. If you're a non-listener, you're going to need help to make this the Entry it should be.


A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 3

Elentari

If you want to write something, I'd appreciate the help. I won't be online much if at all till Tuesday, but anything you can do would be great.


A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 4

Pinniped


I won't be around much before then either.
What do you think of suggesting it as a Talking Point?
If we could collect a good set of individual reminiscences, it could sum to a good Entry. Otherwise, it's a really, really daunting topic, this.

I've listened pretty well daily, except when out of the country, for over thirty years, but I'm no kind of authority. I have to pinch myself to remenber Timpson and Redhead, Plomley before Lawley before Young on Desert Island Discs, all the manifestations of I'm Sorry etc, Gardeners' QT, Ned Sherrin, Joan Bakewell, Alistair Cooke...it goes on for ever.

And that's before you even consider the Archerssmiley - yikes


A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 5

Icy North

I joined h2g2 from the Radio 4 Messageboards, and you may well find some people there who will be willing to help. Post a message on the "Questions Questions" messageboard (the most active board), or maybe one of the Eds here could contact the host there (It was Anna when I was there) to publicise this.

I agree with Pin that it's a huge subject - deserves a University Project, really.

smiley - cheers Icy


A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 6

Elentari

Hmm, maybe I'll see what the eds think about making it a Talking Point, though if anyone has any thoughts before then, do let me know.


A28968024 - BBC Radio Four

Post 7

Elentari

I'm going to take this out of PR for now until I have time to come back to it. I have other entries which are more pressing, this one'll keep.

If anyone has any ideas, you know where to find me. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more