A Conversation for Talking Point: A Rubbish Idea

Recycling Recycling

Post 1

KWDave

About fifteen years ago, Key West had a really nice system for handling garbage and recyclables. All were trucked to a sorting facility where city employees sorted recyclables, burnable garbage was incincerated in a waste-to-energy generator, and the very little that was left over was landfilled into something we like to call Mount Trashmore.

This, of course was way too efficient, and someone decided that an outside company needed to truck everything out of here at an astronomical cost. A contract was awarded, the sorting facility employees were fired, and we returned to our earlier, polluting ways. A very expensive transfer facility had to be built, and we have lined the pockets of several companies over the past ten years.

Now everyone wants to return to recycling. Care to guess what they are proposing?


Key: Complain about this post

Recycling Recycling

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more