A Conversation for Talking Point: A Rubbish Idea

All stick, no carrot

Post 1

Luthien_Starlight

OK, charge me for the black rubbish bin.
But credit me for the recyclables.
Now the stuff I put in the recycling bin may not make anyone any money, but, it does save space in the landfill and the landfill tax (and apparently the UK is set to pay the EC £200 million because the UK signed up to waste management targets but is set to fall well short from the beginning of next year).
A little encouragement goes a long way I find.
Whereas a stick often just fuels resentment.
L.


All stick, no carrot

Post 2

electricsupersid

I have to agree with that. The authorities attitude to the population is all stick and no carrot. It is hard to swallow any of these proposals since all the taxes from motorists never seem to improve the roads or public transport.
Although recycling is getting easier with the roadside collection of many items, it could still go further. The majority of us are recycling more then before - so where is the problem. We are getting there!


All stick, no carrot

Post 3

Secret Love

Another government cock up - all this lot understand is tax, tax, tax.

Where I live we have an incinerator, and an extremely good recycling centre - free to the public - and still morons dump by the roadside.

We already pay for waste collection in our council tax, we have a seperate bin for compostable, and a box for paper, and hopefully a box/bin/bag for plastic soon, becauser that's the one that really wants cutting down on.

smiley - smiley


All stick, no carrot

Post 4

McKay The Disorganised

How can you charge for rubbish anyway - what about the number of people in the house ? Is one heavy item going to be charged more than dozens of little articles ?

Another half-cocked idea from this knee-jerk government.

smiley - cider


All stick, no carrot

Post 5

mightybagheera

I think we're all in agreement, especially to the "knee-jerk" tactics used by this admin and just about every other post-WWII Government in just about every major policy decision.

"Tax it!" is the only thing any of them seem capable of doing .......

Whish is why I can't understand WHY nobody wanted to take up a proposal I put forward SEVEN YEARS AGO which is based on a successful scheme which has been up and running in Scandinavia for yonks
AND WOULD HAVE PASSED A 'BREAK EVEN POINT' BY NOW AND STARTED TO BE A NICE LITTLE MONEY EARNER .....

It would also have removed c. 250 METRIC TONNES per annum of toxic waste (1999 figures) from landfill sites.

Nickel, cadmium. tungsten and even lead can all be found in DRY CELL BATTERIES - and if these were recycled by simply RETURNING THEM TO A POINT OF SALE when we buy replacements, the problem is solved. A specialist firm in Sweden has the technology to recycle c. 90% of the component parts, and dispose of the remainder in an environmentally defensible manner.

But does this country listen?????Not a chance .....smiley - wahsmiley - sadface


All stick, no carrot

Post 6

mightybagheera

Oh, and by the way .................!

So cross I almost forgot until I re-read this the next day!!smiley - sadface

"Secret Love" mentions the fact that [s]he lives close to a recycling centre including an INCINERATOR ....

guess what Liverpool City Council have recently decided to do?
They've only approved of SOMEONE ELSE's Battery Disposal scheme
[NB. NOT "recycle" scheme!!] ..... and given them the go-ahead
(and £20,000 "start-up funding") to INCINERATE batteries..... !!
smiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - sadfacesmiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more