A Conversation for The Original Marmalade

Peer Review: A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 1

Watermusic

Entry: The Original Marmalade - A2764163
Author: Watermusic - U552734

Prompted by discussion with Frenchbean a little research in a recipe book has led to this article on 'Real' Marmalade from its country of origin. Though everybody credits the English as the first to make it with oranges!


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 2

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Nice, has my mouth watering already. Just one teensy comment: you can use ° to create the 'degree' symbol in temperatures.


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 3

Watermusic

Thanks Felonious Monk,

I'm always intending to use it instead of apple purée with roast pork. I've never made it myself as either peeling and pipping, or sieving the pulp, is quite labour intensive and basically I tend to hope someone else will do it!

I didn't know about the ° . It comes out alright using Alt167 doesn't it? It does on mine or does it vary from computer to computer smiley - erm

Watermusic


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 4

frenchbean

Hello Watermusic smiley - smiley

Great to see this one pop up so quickly smiley - applause

A few points:

You don't need to use single apostrophes and italics: word is enough.

I'm not sure about using capitals in Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit? I think they should be lower case smiley - erm

I can certainly find you a UK Marmalade recipe if you like?

It was traditionally made in Dundee and I'm sure I can find a link to the history of it's manufacture if you're interested? Dundee because that's where the Seville oranges were imported.

Good entry smiley - ok

Fbsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 5

Watermusic

Hi Frenchbean,

Have removed the quotes and added a few commas - also a translation of 'Marie malade', though haven't done French for so long not positively sure that 'Mary's ill' is strictly correct.
White marmalade should be made from the 'gamboa', a specific variety of quince - rather than 'can' and 'special'
Lowered the case of the citrus fruits.

As I wasn't intending to write anything at all about Marmalade this morning. Then I was going to leave 'Orange Marmalade' for someone else to cover?smiley - biggrin

and that would lead to a treatise on 'Oranges'?smiley - smiley

and then...

smiley - cheers
Watermusic


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I don't think you are allowed to use someone else's recipes, even if you have translated them from Portuguese.

smiley - erm


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 7

Watermusic

smiley - yikesYou mean all 158 recipes (plus, because some are multiple) actual entries in the guide have come from nowhere and are 'original', or is it just the credit (now removed) that is wrong?
After all, I could get the same recipe from several sources. It only involves taking approximately equal quantities of fruit and sugar and boiling it up to reach a particular sugar-syrup stage.
Fruit toffee!

smiley - smiley


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I don't know. This is why I've steered away from putting in recipes, unless I devised them myself or changed them significantly. What do other people think?


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 9

Dr Hell

Nice...

As a native portuguese speaker I can also tell you the following:

Marmelo - marmelada (quince - quince jam)
laranja - laranjada (orange - orange juice)
goiaba - goiabada (goyaba - goyaba jam)
limao - limonada (lemon - lemon juice)

The pattern followed is the following:

Fruit - fruit+suffix (-ada) which is kind of the participle form. It actually means 'stuff made out of' - So, marmelada is the stuff made out of marmelo.

I just thought you might want to know this.

HELL smiley - winkeye


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

as far as recipes go... well, some would be a breach of copywrite I'm sure. But jam is a proportion of jam to sugar - it's something that many people make "by eye" so I can't see how that would be a problem.

Nice article, btw. I saw Quince jelly in our local supermarket. I may just give it a try.

Oh, and didn't the chappie in Dundee make marmalade because he bought the Seville oranges not knowing they would be bitter, and he would have lost a lot of money if he hadn't found a use for them?


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 11

Watermusic

Olá Hell,
Obrigada (Thank you for non-Portuguese/Brazilian speakers)

I mention this in the last paragraph with regard to some other fruit jams - but didn't realise the connection with laranjada e limonada!

Hi Sho,
Thanks
I had a look at some of the recipes in the guide and am sure that this is so simple!

I don't know about the origins of orange marmalade, or the making of it, apart from chopping the oranges up. Marmalade is my mother's speciality - myself I tend to go in for Chutneys (Sweet Pumpkin and Prune is my husbands favourite)

smiley - cheers
Watermusic
(It's a bit noisy in the streets tonight!!!!!)


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 12

McKay The Disorganised

smiley - erm Now why did I think this would be about a pop group ?

Short and simple this one. smiley - ok

smiley - cider


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 13

AlexAshman


Good entry - is there any reason we English use oranges for marmalade? I've never understood why...

smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 14

Watermusic

Hi McKay and AlexAshman,
Actually it is the Scots who should be credited with the commercial spread (sic) of orange marmalade - Keillers of Dundee in the early 19th century.

The bitter orange had medicinal uses as an aid to digestion and possibly as a fertility treatment. This is why the bitter orange was grown in the Iberian peninsula in the Arabic regions of the 13th to 15th centuries ie: Southern Spain and Portugal, hence Seville.

I have read that oranges were being imported into the British Isles in the 13th century - probably mainly from Portugal, who already had trade treaties with England. (Richard the Lionheart and other crusading buddies stopped off in Lisbon to help drive the Moors out. Why go to the Holy Land when we can fight them closer to home?)

The importation of Marmelada reached sufficient proportions in the 15th century to be assessed for customs duty in 1495 - so I could add that recently acquired fact somewhere.

It seems that bitter oranges were chopped up and put into a sweet jelly or jam to help people take their medicine!

smiley - cheers
Watermusic


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 15

AlexAshman


smiley - wowMarmalade was originally used for medicinal purposes! Well I never!
I remember reading somewhere that the same is true for tomato ketchup...

And invented by Scots... maybe I should have said 'we British'. Thanks for looking in to that.

smiley - cheers


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 16

Watermusic

OK then,
Thanks for your suggestions, inspirations and comments so far.

Have just added:
Bitter oranges used as medicine.

Customs duty on 'mamelada'.

Changed English to British to include the Scots!

Added orangeade and lemonade.

Watermusic


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 17

Pimms

Excellent and informative WM smiley - biggrin

Pimms smiley - ok

(IMHO home made Seville orange marmelade is the best, as shop-bought is nearly always made too sweet)


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 18

Watermusic

smiley - ta
Yes! Homemade is always best - one knows what is in it!!


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

"melimelun" does not look like a Latin word to me. Should it be "melimelum"?


A2764163 - The Original Marmalade

Post 20

2 of 3

whats a quince? is it a citrus fruit?
I have never heard of such a fruit.

2/3


Key: Complain about this post