Dublin English Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Dublin English

8 Conversations

Despite being known as West Brit-land by the rest of Ireland, Dublin has its own distinct brand of 'the English language' which can trap the unwary. Here's a brief summary of the words and phrases you'll come across.

Aul' fellahFather.
Aul' wanMother.
Blow-inA tourist or migrant worker, or anyone whose family moved to Ireland in the last ... well, in recorded history, really. Used in the put down 'Arra, sure but ye're just a blow in, what would you know?'.
'boutyeA term which means 'How are you?'. This is a clue that the person talking to you is from the North.
CulchieA farmer or someone from rural Ireland.
Eating the face offArguing with - quite a graphical description.
-eenSmall or young like a young girl is a 'girleen'.
GrandFine or OK1.
Getting a rise out ofGetting an angry reaction.
GougerA nasty-looking person - mostly of women.
GourrierA petty criminal or untrustworthy person.
Howye'How are you'. This is a clue that the person talking to you is from the North side of the Liffey. Hence 'a howye'.
Mucker/Muck SavageA ruder version of a culchie.
PutherA digital device, akin to a personal computer, but usually illegally obtained as in 'Would ye be interested in a 'puther?'
RomanA Roman Catholic.
ShiftA snog/French kiss. For your own sake never ask anyone to give you 'a hand shifting your car' - you'll be evicted from the county.
SoftRaining - 'It's a grand soft day' means it's raining again as usual.
West-britA Dublin resident (usually from DĂșn Laoghaire) who affects a posh, southern counties English accent.
YePlural form of you. Except when it is singular. As in 'Are ye coming along?' (Plural) but 'How about ye?' (Singular).
Yer manThird person masculine - as in 'How's yer man?'.
Yer wanThird person feminine.
YokeA thingy or whatchamacallit. As in 'Pass us out that yoke there will yer?'.

So now you know that if you hear someone say they we're 'Eating the face of the aul fellah to try and get a rise of him', don't panic - they were just arguing with their dad.

1'You're grand' means it's OK, not you're OK.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A275960

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more