A Conversation for Dublin English

West Brit

Post 1

Delboy

I have never heard the term East Brit. For your information a West Brit is an Irish person with British sympathies. Ireland is as everyone knows West of Britain hence the term West Brit. The term East Brit makes no sense.


West Brit

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

I know...but my numerous attempts to get the editor to fix this mistake have fallen on deaf ears. I actually describe myself as an "East Brit" meaning that I am actually English and not putting it on...though most people would know that soon enough. smiley - winkeye


West Brit

Post 3

Somuchtolearn

It's annoying that this post raised the East/West Brit debate so many years ago and yet it remains unaltered. There is no such term as East Brit in common usage. It's West Brit because it describes the attitude of the people who live in Ireland but treat it as if they are living just West of Britain and hold mainly 'British' attitudes rather than Irish, read the English papers etc etc. Duncan, I like your invention of the term, I've called myself an English Cailin before now to attempt such a distinction. But I wish we could get the West Brit entry fixed for the world to see. Any chance do you think?


West Brit

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

It's fixed now.


West Brit

Post 5

Is mise Duncan

Hurrah - if only the port tunnel was as easily fixed. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more