A Conversation for Dublin English

Dublin english

Post 1

SPARKY

Hi,having lived in Dublin all my life,both north and southside,I think your list is the product of poor research.Some of the words would never be heard in Dublin,except if they were uttered by a culchie.'Boutye' is used in the north of Ireland,'soft day' in the west and 'shift'in the south.Also,a 'gouger'always refers to a man, never a woman.This list was obviously drawn up by a'blow in',trying to introduce some local words to ease their homesickness whilst staying in Dublin.There is a more simple solution---they could go back to where they came from and listen to these words all the time.Meanwhile,leave the 'Dublinese'to true blues like myself[a sixth generation 'Dub'].So good luck'me aul segocia'.


Dublin english

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Still, it's a good start, which is more than Sparky has done! smiley - winkeye

How about one my wife heard? "The oldest young one and the youngest young one do be literally glued to the television." The speaker always talked about the other three members of her family as "himself, the oldest young one and the youngest young one".


Dublin english

Post 3

Dublinia

I am racking my brains for more examples...how about gas and slapper? Maybe used all over the place. I think were the pronounciation of real Dublinese really shows is in words such as "carpark" and "mars bar". Excellent.
Please, let "Dort" not take over. The Dub accent is lovely.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more