A Conversation for Dublin English

Ye and Yez

Post 1

Delboy

Ye is equivalent to you as in "How are ye" meaning "How are you". Yez is the true Dublin plural of you.
eg. "How are yez" or "Are yez coming to the pub or wha' !" I always wondered why the Queens English language never had a plural for you. Probably because the queen never saw the need to address more than one person at a time. I for one think the addition of "yez" to the queens speech would liven it up imeasureably. smiley - smiley


Ye and Yez

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

There's an equivalent I've heard in Glasgow where "yous" is plural.
i.e. "Yous people are all the same" etc.


Ye and Yez

Post 3

Swalve

Here in America, we have our own forms of the plural you: Yous or youz is often used by working class, ethnic types (Italians, or the Mayor of Chicago), as in "Youz guys get over there and catch the falling concrete."

Also, the Southern dialect gives us "y'all" (short for you all). Don't try to tell a Southerner that it is wrong, they'll laugh at you. In the North you will occasionally hear a transplanted Southerner actually use "you-all" in an attempt to use correct English, ie, "What is wrong with you-all?" They're trying.

Quick fun fact- the state named Illinois is pronounced /ill ih noy/. In the South, it is actually taught in schools as /ill ih noiz/. This is wrong. Remember "There is no noise in Illinois."


Ye and Yez

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

Illinois - is this name not derived from French? If so, it should be changed to /ill i nwa/ with immediate effect smiley - winkeye


Ye and Yez

Post 5

Swalve

You are correct. However, we have trouble enough convincing people to say it our way, I can't imagine the insanity that would ensue if we changed it. Remember, this is the land that pronounces the street named Goethe "go thee".


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more