A Conversation for Mathematics in the Arts

A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 21

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Cyzaki! This is interesting. As far as I remember, there is already an entry on Mathematics in Music in Peer Review at the moment, but it is not going anywhere. Is this the same entry revamped or was the other one by someone else? The search doesn't seem to be working, so I can't find it. I don't know what the etiquette is for your entry containing the same information.

I am not convinced by this entry at all. You conclude that there is a strong link between Mathematics and Art. I conclude exactly the opposite. Mathematics is a way of describing the real world, so it is not surprising that the shapes used in pictures can be described using numbers and geometry. But that is as far as it goes. The rest is the vaguest connection that I've ever seen.

For example, in the section on the Golden Ratio, it is all highly speculative. Nobody has ever shown a credible link between the golden ratio and art, other than when the artist already believed the theory and used it overtly, such as in Dali's painting of the Last Supper with a dodecahedron in the background. (My own experiments show that the golden rectangle is not the most pleasing to the eye, being uncomfortably short).

May I suggest the following changes?

Content changes:

Frequency is not the length of the sound wave, as you state. It is the number of times per second the wave vibrates.

"So by shortening a string which produced an E to four-fifths of its length, you can play the note C." It is the other way around. By shortening a string which plays a C to four-fifths of its length, you can play the note E.

I don't think it is really helpful to say that there are two definitions of the golden ratio. The definition of the golden ratio is the second one you give. That's how the Greeks defined it, although they didn't call it the golden ratio. The value (1+sqrt(2))/2 which you give is not a definition, it is the value of the golden ratio and can be easily calculated from the definition.

"however people have continued to play with perspective, and use it in new ways such as Escher, who is famous for having played with perspective in new and interesting ways" -- this will need to be rephrased.

Typographical changes:

we now know the reasoning behind this --> we now know the reason behind this
measured in Hertz (Hz) --> measured in hertz (Hz)

smiley - smiley


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 22

Gnomon - time to move on

Found it! A2135882 Mathematics in Music by Vanamonde.


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 23

Cyzaki

I knew there was an entry on Mathematics in Music, but as a) it's languishing in PR and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and b) it goes into much more detail than I have, I figured I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes. Besides, I hope my entry leaves space for more detailed entries on all the sections anyway smiley - smiley

smiley - panda


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 24

Cyzaki

I think I've sorted everything you pointed out so far smiley - smiley

smiley - panda


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 25

Mol - on the new tablet

Enjoyed this entry, understood it (nearly lost me in Fibonacci numbers but it is late) and I learnt from it. smiley - smiley But could you expand on the literature section please? I am intrigued to discover that (I assume Jane) "Austen ... used mathematical logic and concepts to illustrate ideas" and completely stumped when trying to come up with an example - need a little bit more to be convinced.

Might be worth pointing out the areas in which mathematics and arts converge to produce something which is both functional and pleasing (eg architecture, design).

Mol


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 26

AlexAshman


Mathematics is present in literature by Shakespeare - the lines often follow a certain rhythm, with a pattern of syllables being stressed and unstressed - for instance, iambic pentameter, where five pairs of one stressed and one unstressed syllable are used.

smiley - smiley


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 27

Gnomon - time to move on

Shakespeare's play are all written in iambic pentameter, with five stresses in each line. But I think it is ridiculous to say that this is an example of mathematics in literature. Here, mathematics is a way of describing the English language, rather than the language being based on Mathematics. You could just as easily say that maths is an integral part of art, because most paintings are rectangular and this is a mathematical shape.

To me, none of this makes any sense.


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 28

AlexAshman

I see your point. I just think that there must be more of a link between Literature and Mathematics than the fact that books can be written about mathematicians...


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 29

Mol - on the new tablet

Gnomon, perhaps the entry *should* say that maths is an integral part of art, because most paintings are rectangular!

Shakespeare's plays are not exclusively written in iambic pentameter blank verse. He sometimes uses prose (ie, discards a mathematical approach to language) to achieve a particular effect. He also occasionally adopts rhyming patterns within plays - aren't repeating patterns generally mathematical? The rhyme and rhythm of sonnets can also be analysed in mathematical terms.

Mathematical concepts are present in the arts. In some cases they've been discovered to exist and in others art has been created around or within them. This entry seems to be an attempt to highlight those points where mathematics and art coincide and it's largely successful in doing that.

Mol


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 30

Cyzaki

Thanks for your comments guys smiley - smiley

I'm *trying* to be careful about the distinction between 'mathematics in the arts' and 'things with rhythm which could be mathematical if you squint in the right light' - which is why I've not included dance yet, and why I've not mentioned poetry. If you guys really think these things should be included, I'll put them in, but I'm not sure myself.

Gnomon: I'm sorry you're not agreeing with what I'm saying, but that's OK! If you've read my entry and think it's just a load of coincidences, then fair enough. I hope it made you think though smiley - smiley

Oh, and the Jane Austen thing? I'm not sure where I got that from, maybe I should take it out?

smiley - panda


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 31

Gnomon - time to move on

As long as I've got you thinking critically about the difference between a genuine example of maths in art and a coincidence, then I'm happy.smiley - smiley


A2756180 - Mathematics in the Arts

Post 32

Cyzaki



smiley - panda


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 33

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 34

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - bubbly Well done! smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 35

Watermusic

smiley - bubbly Congratters

Watermusic


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 36

Cyzaki

Ooooh smiley - biggrin

Thanks for all your help guys!

smiley - panda


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 37

LQ - Just plain old LQ

Well done


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 38

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

smiley - applauseCongratulations!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 39

Mol - on the new tablet

Belated congratulations! (lost the convo somehow)

Mol


Key: Complain about this post