A Conversation for Perfection

Paradox

Post 21

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

Does that about wrap it up then?
Incidentally, what about the housekeeping for this site? I mean, say this discussion really had come to an end and to save server space (which might speed the bloody thing up...) we wanted to get rid of it? Can we contact the editors and tell them to delete it? How do you delete stuff from your own site? And what happens to submitted articles that don't make the grade? Mine has just vanished and I would have liked to have it as a forum if nothing else.


Paradox

Post 22

Vonce

But wait a second...what if we are all just brains in a vat in a lab in True Reality, bathed in nutrients and plugged in to an Avid Editing Machine? Then we were replaced and when I dream that I am a butterfly, could it be that I am actually the a butterfly dreaming to be a Vonce? Or the brain of a butterfly or a Vonce? My head hurts.


Paradox

Post 23

The Grand High Pomogranate

Yes, these are strange loops involving two things. I am a pickle dreaming that I am me dreaming that I am a pickle dreaming that I am me dreaming that...etc.
What if the loop involved one thing, on infinite levels? I dream that I am dreaming that I am dreaming that I am dreaming that I am myself, asleep and dreaming that I am dreaming that I am dreaming that I am dreaming that I am me. It just goes on and on.

Speaking of Paradox, I managed to extend my entry on that a bit. Let me know if you like it or not. More logical entanglement and such. Don't try it on a bad day...


Paradox

Post 24

Bluebottle

PERFECTION CANNOT EXIST

It really is quite simple. Say we have a perfect chocolate sundae that did not disappear into unreality, because it was Really perfect. If it was a perfect example, it would have no flaw. So, whenever people wanted to know what a perfect chocolate sundae was, they would look at that one.
BUT if someone wanted a perfect example of what a typical chocolate sundae was, when they looked at the perfect chocolate sundae, they would find it perfect. Yet typical chocolate sundaes are not perfect, so it cannot be a perfect example as it has qualities which ordinary chocolate sundaes do not possess. So it is not a perfect example of a typical chocolate sundae, and so therefore is not perfect.
Therefore, perfection cannot exist.


Paradox

Post 25

The Hippy Werewolf

Ah yes, but one entity's perfection may be another organism's poison.
For example should the perfect Chocolate Sundea have nuts sprincled it(to wich some biengs are violently allergic), or those crunchy little biscuity bits, both or neither. This is the truly paradoxical situation we find when trying to create perfection.

P.s. my brain hurts I think i'll go and lay down


Paradox

Post 26

Bluebottle

So, if perfection is relative, can anything be perfect? If perfection itself is imperfect, then can there be a perfect perfection if everyone's perfection is different? As you say, some people MUST have nuts, and others cannot, so what is the perfect solution?? There cannot be one, so perfection does not exist.
P.S. My head hurts too - and all this talk about chocolate sundaes has made me hungry, but all the sundaes that may have existed in my fridge obtained perfection and have disappeared.


Paradox

Post 27

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

There's a lot less mystery here than all you folks think. You see a chocolate sundae. You assess it. It's perfect. So you eat it. Therefore it attained perfection and it disappeared.


Paradox

Post 28

The Hippy Werewolf

But if perfection is relative, why are my relatives such a***holes?
It could be that they are perfect a***holes, but i've met them and I don't think so. I think they are very ordinary a***holes.
Mainly because they never give chocolate sundaes and don't invite me to parties.


Paradox

Post 29

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

Try eating your relatives instead. Mother-in-law with anchovies is a particular favourite around here.


Paradox

Post 30

The Hippy Werewolf

I havn't got one (Mother-in-law that is). Do you think roast cousin with Basil and Sage stuffing would work?


Paradox

Post 31

lazeebones

Or a young niece or nephew. You'd have to add plenty of lemon juice to counteract the nauseating sweetness.


Paradox

Post 32

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

NEVER roast a cousin without parboiling them first, or they're poisonous. Plus, they become too tough to eat, and make a real mess of your oven. While you're about it, you might as well fill the roasing tray with an aunt or uncle as well, otherwise they'll only get suspicious.


Paradox

Post 33

3.1415926535...

As a restaurant employee (blasted summer job) working in the ice cream section,
I am proud to claim creation of several perfect sundaes. Of course, I had to give them
to the customers, and I never saw them, uneaten, again.

There was a very nice man with an Eastern European accent and a motorcycle helmet,
leather jacket. He ordered a banana split. I had put on the banana & ice cream, and two
of the sauces. I turned to ask whether he'd like chocolate sauce or hot fudge. He gaped
at the split and said "Oh, that is so much! That's enough!"
"No whipped cream? No nuts? No chocolate?"
"No, no. Now I won't have to eat dinner!" Charming guy. 20 minutes later, half the sundae
was left on the counter. He had been right.
Thus, the split lost perfection, as a molten soup. The shame.

Whenever I order a sundae after my shift, my wretched co-workers make it wrong. Thus, it
remains for me to eat. The barber with a bad haircut.


Paradox

Post 34

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

What are you smoking, there, Pi?


Paradox

Post 35

Bluebottle

Can you tell me how to make these perfect sundaes????

THE SECRET OF PERFECTION WILL BE REVEALED!!!


Paradox

Post 36

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Makes perfect smiley - winkeye sense to me.


Key: Complain about this post