A Conversation for H2G2 Parent and Child Group.

Colic

Post 1

Cloviscat

smiley - monstersmiley - ill

Does anybody have any advice?

Please?????????


Colic

Post 2

mrs the wife

It really depends on how you are feeding. I was told that breastfed babies do not get colic... They lied! smiley - sadface

I found infacol made some difference in helping to bring up wind but was not really very effective in dealing with colic. My daughter used to get it at about 5.30 pm to around 9.00pm and it was horrendous. The only thing that worked for us was giving her a feed and a burp, then putting her in the car and driving for miles. I realise that this isn't probably the advice that you want to hear, but it did work for us.

If your baby is bottle fed, a friend of mine bought an over the counter additive to the formula which worked wonders - her son had no further problems as the product helps the formula be broken down in the stomach. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but any chemist should be able to let you know - failing that, send me a message and I'll ask my friend for you.

good luck!

smiley - artist


Colic

Post 3

Cloviscat

Thanks!

Breastfed, btw, and currently running 8pm - midnight regularly, with bursts in mornings and afternoons.

I've foung the driving *usually* helps (not this morning!) but as my other half doesn't drive, the onus falls to me - he will, however, walk her round the village in the pram. The sling works too, but not as often.

How long does this last? days? weeks? months?????


Colic

Post 4

World Service Memoryshare team

Dear Cloviscat,

With Dom it lasted a couple of months (probably something else you don't want to hear!) We found that sitting him up, with a hand under his chin and supporting his chest, with him leaning ever so slightly forward, and patting him on the back helped a lot. The rhythmic patting seemed to calm and relax him. A friend of mine who lives in a stone cottage in Yorkshire swore by wearing a lovely warm soft jumper and putting his daughter on his chest so that her belly was warmed up by him.

The other thing with colic is that it disappears as suddenly as it comes. Hope it comes soon for you.


Colic

Post 5

mrs the wife

How long does it last? It seemed to last forever, but in hindsight it was only until she was about three months old or so.

I felt responsible for her discomfort, as it was really hard getting her to burp, but I did a bit of research into it, only to find that it isn't necessarily to do with wind at all, rather it is their digestive systems kicking in properly(?)

If it is any consolation it stopped as suddenly as it all started.

Teeth next... my little one has just started with them and what fun they are!


smiley - artist


Colic

Post 6

Cloviscat

Thank you both!

You're right - it doesn't seem to be straight wind at all - she's a champion burper - sounds like a navvy! But I can *feel* her tummy gripingand gurgling under my hand...

We got through last night partly on the homeopathic colocynth granules recommended by my health visitor \(hard to tell how well they're working) but mostly on good old fashioned little-finger sucking. I was probably awake as long as the previous nights, but I was able to do something to help, and there was no screaming! Comparatively, it was bliss...

5.5 weeks old, 6.5 weeks to go....


Colic

Post 7

World Service Memoryshare team

Hang in there Cloviscat! Glad something's making it a little better smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more