Talking Point - Gone But Never Forgotten...

3 Conversations

The bottom half of a pair of blue jeans with some Elvis-styling in the flare. Photo supplied by h2g2 Photographer Wyatt.

Elvis Presley died 30 years ago on 16 August, 1977. Yet his memory has not faded in the intervening years. Quite the opposite in fact; the King is much more famous today than when he was alive. Every year, some 600,000 people make the pilgrimage to his home in Graceland – many of whom were not even born when the great man died.

During his last years, Elvis was lonely, overweight and addicted to food and drugs. Footage from his final concerts in Las Vegas shows him going through the motions; the soul had disappeared from his singing. He became one of the casualties of global fame - everybody knows who you are, yet you feel totally alone.

During the final years of his life, Elvis's image and his reality had dramatically diverged. Yet his death meant his human weaknesses could be overlooked and Elvis the legend could be born.

  • Had Elvis lived, do you think he would have become the same kind of global icon he is today?

  • Did dying set the seal on his career?

  • Some people will not believe Elvis Presley has truly 'left the building'; they insist he is alive somewhere waiting for his second coming. Why is it so hard for some people to accept Elvis died?

  • Why has Elvis become a religion to some people?

  • Although both were equally talented musicians, John Lennon has a cult-like status that Paul McCartney doesn't. Is it possible to be regarded as a legend in the same way as somebody who died before their time?

  • There is the '27' club. Many music legends died at this age including Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix and Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. Nick Drake almost makes it into the club, having died at the age of 26. Do you think there's something significant about that age, or is it just coincidence?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A25847166

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more