Fountain Pens Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Fountain Pens

7 Conversations

The somewhat debatable origin of the fountain pen can be traced back to Walter Sheaffer in 1907. He's the one that's credited with perfecting a pen that sucked up ink through the tip, in place of reloading the pen with ink with a cumbersome eyedropper. This made the fountain pen vastly neater than older-style pens1.

Nonetheless, there's something very sensual about writing with a pen that uses liquid ink. Indeed, when writing with a fountain pen, the nib seems to positively glide across the page with such effortless grace as to make the physical act of writing a joy. These days, if you prefer, you can buy plastic cartridges for a fountain pen. These little fellows practically eliminate any chance of a mess2.

In this era of mass production, a $100-plus writing instrument might well seem an extravagance. Yet a good fountain pen will last a lifetime. It lends character to the signature of its user, and makes writing a much more thoughtful experience.

1Though of course, those of us used to ballpoint pens, still think of fountain pens as messy instruments.2Unless you're a complete klutz, or forget to remove a loaded fountain pen from your pocket before embarking on an airline flight. The change in atmospheric pressure will probably cause your pen to leak ink all over your clothes.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A257960

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more