A Conversation for TV Wrestling Fans

Unsubstantiated Rubbish!

Post 1

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I'd just like to thank you for posting a purile, childish and totally unsubstantiated little diatribe on the qualities of the average pro wrestling fan. I have to ask how many of these fans you actually sat down and interviewed, how many in-depth case studies you complied and the methodology that you subscribe to in your sociological studies of such societal groups? Oh, you didn't, did you...you just caught a glimpse of a crowd at a wrestling show and fancied that just because it does not appeal to you these people must all be degenerates that spend their days drooling over porn and scratching their backsides. While you're entitled to your own opinion on the matter, I think that you should refrain from labelling all the fans of this or any form of entertainment in such ways. Let's take your criticisms and hold them up to a fan of pro wrestling such as myself. Firstly you say that we have "sloping foreheads," and I take it that you hold this to be indicitive of a low IQ. I hold a degree and a raft of other academic achievements, to have obtained these I must have demonstrated a certain degree of intelligence. Secondly you accuse us of consuming large amounts of porn. Now while an adult is free to persue this kind of material in our society I personally find pornography to be degrading to both the subject and the audience. You also accuse us of rampant homophobia in the face of the fact that two semi-naked men grappling with each other has certain connotations other than the athletic. Of course there is a highly visible element of homo-eroticism in wrestling, the sport was pioneered by the ancient Greeks for whom homo-sexuality was an accepted lifestyle choice just as it is today. As a fan of pro wrestling I have to say that I have no compulsion to react with paranoia or hatred towards gay men or women and count members the aforementioned groups among my friends (some of them even like pro wrestling). As for your claim that pro wrestling requires nothing more than muscles, sweat and the ability to follow a coreographer, while it is true that the opening and finish of a match are scripted beforehand, the majority of the match between these points is pure improvisation on the part of participants. And please take a moment to note the fact that pro wrestling labels itself as "sports entertainment" rather than perpetuate the idea that it is an actual athletic competition. And before you dismiss what I've said here, remember the fact that I am a pro wrestling fan of some fifteen years following, hold down a job in the financial sector, have a long-term partner, a mortgage and have written as a journalist on this subject for the past decade.

Thank you


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more