A Conversation for Common Sense

common sense

Post 1

Ioreth (on hiatus)

Hmm I would define common sense as three things. The first is the ability to make distinctions you can't set down a rule for. When someone has stepped past the line you know, and when they haven't you know, but when they're in the shady border area I think being able to judge is a very important quality. The other is being able to reapply what you have learned to a different but similar situation, rather than having to be told for each, or to take a general rule and apply it specifically. The former is one that I would guess is found in all people to some extent, and in a few to greater extent, whereas the latter is probably more common, but judging by the world today not as much as one might think/hope. And the last. Personally I am hopelessly devoid of such common sense, but I have yet to be run over or burn the house down so I just hope for that to continue.


common sense

Post 2

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

sounds sensible to me.smiley - fish@


common sense

Post 3

Twophlag Gargleblap - NWO NOW

I guess I would argue that not getting run over has more to do with instinct than with wisdom, but otherwise you seem to have it nailed down well. My guess is that wisdom has to do with so-called 'emotional intelligence', and reflects the level to which one has developed one's sense of empathy and intellectual honesty.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more