A Conversation for Magicians Guild : Outpost Poroda

Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 21

Thorn

*At the very base of the mountain, Ecg unagi breaks stride and lays down, stretching and touching his toes a bit, but then waiting to catch his breathe again, when the charred smell of soot or smoke in the air vaguely enters his nostrils*

"Oh great, as if there wasn't already enough to make this a difficult undertaking."

[Mountaineer]: "It's about to get worse."

[Ecg]: "Hey, how would you know?"

[M]: "Boy, I've lived in this mountains longer than you probably even have existed, longer than loads of people sorta-mostly. Watched this place start out and then the outpost build itself up. That smell in the air means that the volcano has been acting up a bit more than usual. When that happens, unless you're some sort of a fire-demon or monster,- the only thing you can do is wait. It might be tomorrow, or a few days, or today, who knows? You ain't going to try and climb that thing are ye?"

[Ecg]: "What if I am and what if I'm not?"
[M]: "You're going to need alot more than just plain gritty character to make that thing."

*Points up at where there is a teeny little flag sitting way up top at about partway to the mountain from a previous climb*

[Ecg]: "Can you help train us?"
[M]: "No."
[Ecg]: "Then will you promise not to stand in our way?"
[M]: "No. I'm going to stay climbing a few steps ahead of you varments, and I'll be laughing at you."

[Ecg]: "Why?"
[M]: "Because it's fun, and there doesn't seem to be that much else to do. Besides,..."
[Ecg]: "Old man, what are you trying to suggest?"

*The mountaineer elaborates*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 22

Thorn

[Ecg]: "well, I don't care so much about anything like that. The reason I have for climbing this thing is kind of important."

*Starts climbing anyway*

Every so often the old mountaineer teases him several feet ahead of whichever place Ecg has reached.


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 23

Thorn

*Ecg will not let the old-man-of-the-mountain's taunts get to him, and other than that the climb seems relatively uneventful*

"You actually pointed out where the stream was to me without meaning to, didn't you?"

[M]: "Well I-, I wasn't trying to help you, that's right. You seem to have a good respect for the area though, and that is why I shall let you pass."

[Ecg]: *Manages to stumble out a thankyou as he fills a bottle with spring water from the elemental springwell.*

*Makes for back to the Smithy over at the Paroda city streets/marketplace*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 24

The_Admiral(aka Avatar)

*Avatar arrives at the base of the mountain.*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 25

Thorn

[Ecg]: "Mr. Avatar,- upon reaching my twenty-first birthday,- they will hold a bit of a ceremony. Partlings have this sometimes. People with a demonic side in their bloodlines sometimes start to grow horns upon reaching that age. Like normal humans and their, er- wisdom teeth, yes?"

*Sticks a pick into the face of the rockwall then starts to scale it a little*
"Here,- I will lower down this rope,- and there is a hammer and spikes I set down at the foot of it."

*Loops part of the rope around one of the spikes that is already in the wall.*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 26

The_Admiral(aka Avatar)



*Avatar smiles slightly*

Only if the horns cause tremendous pain and have to be removed, leaving you incapable of speaking clearly for days.

*Avatar debates telling Ecg his suspicions and resolves to wait and tell him after the wall is traversed.*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 27

Thorn

: Up... to get to something at the top. Originally it was to find medicine for Shaylar,- and then Madhank and I tacked on the thing about a few dragons and possibly a few fire demons. smiley - winkeye

[Ecg Unagi]: "I should hope not. Well, the older demons and partlings who have it, will tend to have longer horns than the younger ones. Er... it's not uncommon to find other people around wearing masks during it, here and there. Some of them are rare masks,"
he says, while looping a pass of rope around another spike that is stuck in the rockwall as he reaches it.

"A few powerful masks can be found during that time too. I wouldn't exactly know though about if it hurts or not. Dad and brother never told me. Guess that means I'll just have to find out. Are you alright?" he asks as he sits down on a jutting piece of rock forming a ledge partway above the second spike. It is halway between it and where the third spike should go.

"I remember you had once told me ... a bit on how you had been through a lot. Seems to be showing through in your hair a bit more. At least, I mean,- it wasn't like that though last time, I don't think."

*Pauses to swig a bit of something from a canteen*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 28

Thorn

: Halfway, I had meant up there. Oops.


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 29

Thorn

*Ecg Reaches his hand down, and lowers his arm to help Avatar up*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 30

The_Admiral(aka Avatar)



*Avatar pulls himself up onto the ledge beside Ecg*

Well, I suppose I may as well tell you now. That way you'll be prepared and know what to expect, at least.

*he tries to think of the best way to explain his situation.*

I'm not like most humans. The short answer to your question is that the spell placed upon me to slow the aging process and, for all practical purposes, grant me quasi-immortality seems to be fading. Basically, my age is catching up with me.


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 31

Thorn

: Yah,- kinda. Sheesh. And I thought one month was a headace, or that two was bad. 5 is worse... 9? Owch. That's why I try to be good about summing crud up in a nutshell,- kinda like ina movie serial or some comics, eh? *shrugs*
[Ecg]: "You know... That doesn't sound so-good. Teacher gets to be 200 but still has physical prowess and whatnot,- but if you're probably at least that old, and most likely more than that... you're prolly gonna need some help to keep from being a dustpile if it accelerates instead of stopping. Here, I don't know the full-curse of demons that is used to make somebody become one,- but I can give you this charm I had made. Demons are an old, old race. They don't get to have youth go with it like elves,- but the older they get, the stronger they become,- assuming that one can survive that long. It'll last for a little while. No worries."

*Hands Avatar the beaded trinket with the larger wooden piece that has some writing on it*

There are some glyphs on the wooden piece. It's in demonic script.


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 32

Thorn

[Ecg]: "It's only at half-strength, so it'll be temporary. I don't know how to do the spell the whole way; not too many people who do. Maybe we should go see my dad later. I think he might know the other part to it."

*Looks over at Avatar a bit, then blows a tuft of hair from his face before continuing*

"Contrary to popular belief,- not all demons are evil. Sure, there are some that are... they get most of the attention. The not so evil ones usually have to hide,- to keep from getting persecuted too much."

*Looks out over the horizon for a bit*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 33

The_Admiral(aka Avatar)

*Avatar takes the trinket.*

Thanks, kid.

*he smirks wryly* Unlike your teacher, I'm only 110 and I've been using some of my temporal spells to help retard the effects of my aging. I think I have it under control for the most part. This should help alot. After this is over, I'm going to have to go back to Copse Haven. The elves there should know how to help me. After all, they placed the spell on me in the first place.


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 34

Thorn

[Ecg]: "So, tell me if you feel a bit nauseous while the charm is taking into effect."

*Passes the canteen*
"A sip of this will help. [There's] A reason why they call it "spirits" or "demon water". It's just a liquor, don't worry. I've found that it helps with the altitude a bit. Odd stuff,- that."

*raises an eyebrow*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 35

Thorn

[Ecg]: "You're welcome,- and hey it's no problem. I'd prolly be one to wanna dispose of that before running into a company of elves though. Historically those two races have never really been able to get along so well. Yeah,- both had enough longevity,- that... well, you know what they say about idle minds... only a matter of time some eon or two or more, or so... before they had found some sort of a reason for their to be a bone-to-pick against each other - yeah?"

*Laughs a bit rolling his eyes*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 36

Thorn

[Ecg Unagi]: ~If I was you. But hey,- I'm not you.~
*He fixes his gaze on the wood piece, and the glyphs glow a faint purple before setting down and the light from it fades.*
Now it looks like they have been painted on.


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 37

The_Admiral(aka Avatar)

I may be old, boy, but I'm not yet feeble.

*Avatar takes a swig from the canteen anyway.*

*he wipes his mouth on his sleeve.*

However, I was brought up never to turn down a free drink.

*he passes the canteen back.*


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 38

Thorn

: Thanks. Most of tomorrow I've gotta go to a funeral party though. Sorry, Monday I can pull some online time pretty easily. Um,- don't suppose that the USS Hornet has Internet access on it, Hmm


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 39

Thorn

[Ecg]: "Alright. Sailors are like that too kinda. Oh and by the way, I think your fangs are showing. Might wanna keep that in mind about something that lends you a few demon abilities that it'll imbue. No worries,- it's not permanent,- fairly easy to go back and forth. Partlings like me can kinda flick back and forth with that stuff."


Poroda: Mt Ruby

Post 40

Thorn

[Ecg]: "...without items. You'll get the hang of it."


Key: Complain about this post