A Conversation for Motorcyclist's Crash Helmets - UK edition

Helmets MUST be disposed after a crash

Post 1

Researcher 212780

Hi,

I have a carbon crash helmet, and I had a small crash with it a few months ago.

The helmet hit the ground, but doesn't seem to be very damaged.

I'd heard before that carbon crash helmets should be disposed after a crash, even if they don't seen damaged at all, and you text confirms all that. So, this is a helmet that I won't be using again.

The problem is in convincing the other driver's insurance company that they must pay for a replacement helmet, when they see that the helmet is not very damaged.

Are there further references that I can quote (books, magazines, etc, etc)?

Thanks,

Pedro


Helmets MUST be disposed after a crash

Post 2

Researcher 231149

Hi Pedro,

Sorry to say so but the very moment your very fine crash helmet hits any hard object, you MUST dispose of it!
This is particulary galling even if you drop it on the ground as hair fractures may occur which will cause a catastrophic failure of the helmet when you need it most - in a shunt!

Safe riding please.

Arthur


Key: Complain about this post

Helmets MUST be disposed after a crash

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more