A Conversation for Kevlar

Peer Review: A238015 - Kevlar

Post 1

Martin Harper

Entry: Kevlar - A238015
Author: Calroth - U103337

We don't have an Edited Entry on Kevlar in the guide, and I think this one would be lovely for it. Calroth's AWOL, so there won't be any changes to it, but I don't think it needs it.

Obviously, if anyone suggests any major changes it needs, then I'll take it out of Peer Review. But I reckon this is ready as is. smiley - smiley


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Hi Lucinda.

I agree, great entry, but it's marred by an unnecessarily sensationalist opening that could (possibly) cause distress to some. If that were reworked, omitted even, I think this has the makings of a suberb entry. Good recommendation.

Jimster


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 3

Jimi X

I agree about that first 'graph. smiley - tongueout

A lot of police trade magazines here in the states have features on officers whose lives have been saved by their ballistic vests. Perhaps an example of one of these instead?

But truly a top-notch job of Scouting!

smiley - cheers

- Jimi X


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 4

xyroth

I agree that replacing the classroom shooting with shooting a policeman really makes it sound better. smiley - silly

however something that is not mentioned in the article is just how great the strength of this stuff really is.

one university used to have a demonstration set up in their engineering workshop where they had a 250lb engine suspended from the joists by a piece of kevlar thread the thickness of sowing thread.

Even more amazing, when you start talking about using fullerines like buckypipes for your thread, then you get an even bigger strength increase.

We are rapidly heading for the point where you could hoist a cage up into space using a cable, the so called elevator to space.


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 5

Potholer

Maybe the bit about being 5 times the strength of steel could say whether that's weight-for-weight, or relative to fibre diameter.?


I'm not entirely certain, but I seem to remember commenting on an article on kevlar (or about kevlar and other polymers) which was quite similar to this one a year or two ago, (possibly an earlier incarnationof this article?). Not that that's necessarily relevant if the article was never submitted, but if what I remember *wasn't* another version of this article, it could be worth comparing the two. I'll poke around and try and find the thing I remember.


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 6

Potholer

I can't seem to find anything that rings a bell - I guess my memory must be playing tricks with me.


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 7

HanSolo

I saw a report on TV from a police shop a week ago.
A police officer was telling that a few years ago a salesman came into the shop, took a gun and fired it against himself, to proof the quality of the cevlar wests he was selling. He flew about 2 meters backwards, but wasn't injured.
The Officer immediately bought a west of him...

Maybe that would be a better introduction?

And your Entry is interesting, but the plain text makes it a bit difficult to read.

HTH
Han Solo


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 8

xyroth

neither can I yet, but in the meantime, I spotted this thread about the band kevlar. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F24962?thread=83040&post=660183#p660183 Having thouroughly searched the system with a number of different keywords, my best guess is that both the article and the thread are stuck in post-rupert moderation hell.


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 9

HappyDude

Credit where credit is due, perhaps somewhere you could mention "Herbert Frood" who invented the first (non-kevlar) bullet proof clothing back in 1916.


A238015 - Kevlar

Post 10

Sam

We'll change that opening para in-house. Good pick. It's in.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

Martin Harper

Three cheers for Calroth! smiley - biggrin
-Lucinda


- Kevlar

Post 13

Researcher 199084

hi, im a female bouncer in brighton, i have recently bought a kevlar vest for work, and its wonderfull! no-one had pulled a knife on me yet, but i was kidney punched tonite and i didnt feel a thing. I thort the entry was good on this site as well.


- Kevlar

Post 14

Sam

Wow, female bouncer, I hope your kidneys are OK! Thanks for joining in - when you get a minute, why don't you fill in your personal space, telling us a bit more about yourself. And if you click on the preferences button, you can give yourself a nickname... maybe 'Female Bouncer'. What do you reckon?

All the best.smiley - smiley


- Kevlar

Post 15

Robert

Hey ppl,

I'm the subed for Kevlar (the recommended entry's at A791291) and, being as the author has 'left the building', I'm posting here.

I've read the comments about the entry and will be changing it accordingly. If anyone's got any other questions or comments, feel free to ask them!

Robert


- Kevlar

Post 16

Robert

I was thinking of changing the first para to something like this:

Several years ago, during a conversation with a police officer, a salesman took a gun and fired it against himself, to proof the quality of the kevlar vests he was selling. He flew about 2 meters backwards, but wasn't injured. This example shows the value of Kevlar's unusually high strength.

If you want, I can put HanSolo on the contributing researchers list...

Robert


- Kevlar

Post 17

xyroth

I've justspotted that it has started being used in composite materials applications, like strengthening carbon fibre structures.

might be worth a mention.


- Kevlar

Post 18

Robert

xyroth: I'll add in your points, and put you on the Contributing Researchers list as well smiley - smiley


- Kevlar

Post 19

Robert

I've added in some headers as well...


- Kevlar

Post 20

Robert

'Calroth's AWOL, so there won't be any changes to it'
-- First post

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post