Terry Pratchett - works published between 1971 & 2005

2 Conversations

Terry Pratchett, one of the biggest selling English authors, created a huge following with his books set on Discworld. This entry details these, some of his other lesser known works, and some of the associated spin-offs.

The Discworld collection (in chronological order)

Each of these gives its title, the date it was first published, alternative format availablility *, a very brief synopsis and its major characters (first appearances of long-running main characters are indicated by an asterisk). The cover illustrators and publishers are not detailed, however, as these can between editions and countries. There are also a number of different editions for some of the books (such as compact, compendia, languages and bindings), these have also not been detailed separately.

The Colour of Magic, 1983 [AA,UA,GN]
Synopsis: Twoflower, the Discworld's first ever tourist, hires Rincewind, its most inept wizard, to take him on a Grand Tour to the edge of the world. With full supporting cast of chthonic monsters, barbarian heroes, imaginary dragons, whimsical gods and a homicidal chest with hundreds of little legs (aka the Luggage).
Main characters: Rincewind*, Twoflower*, Luggage*, Hrun the Barbarian*, assorted Gods*, and first cameo appearance of Death*.
Other Notes: This is one of the only books in the series with chapters*.

The Light Fantastic, 1986 [AA,UA,GN]
Synopsis: The World is about to end, and only Rincewind can save it. Accompanied by Twoflower, the very legendary Cohen the Barbarian ('we can kill you wholesale') an unwillingly rescued sacrificial virgin and the psychopathic Luggage, and with all the Wizards of the Unseen University after him, Rincewind does his best to run away...
Main characters: Rincewind, Twoflower, Luggage, Wizards of Unseen University (UU), Librarian*, Death, Ysabell*, War*, Famine* and Pestilence*, Cohen the Barbarian*
Other Notes: This book follows on from the Colour of Magic, so should not be read in isolation.

Equal Rites, 1987 [AA,UA]
Synopsis: A dying wizard hands on his staff to the eighth child of an eighth son without stopping to check on the gender, thereby creating the Discworld's first and to date only female wizard. Granny Weatherwax (the local witch) is left to pick up the pieces and reluctantly agrees to take Esk to Ankh Morpork, where the Unseen University is about to get a few important lessons in equality and plumbing.
Main characters: Esk, Simon, Granny Weatherwax*, Wizards (of UU), Mrs Whitlow*

Mort, 1987 [AA,UA,GN,J]
Synopsis: Young Mort becomes Death's apprentice (being dead not compulsory). Death decides to take a holiday, leaving the Business in the hands of his adopted daughter Ysabell, Albert the housekeeper, Binky the pale horse and, of course, Mort, who falls in love and completely screws up the nature of reality.
Main characters: Death, Mort*, Ysabell, Albert*, Binky*, Rincewind (briefly), Princess Keli, Cutwell

Sourcery, 1988 [AA,UA]
Synopsis: Everyone knows that the eighth son of an eighth son is a wizard; well wizards are not supposed to have children, so when one has an eighth son what do you get? The answer is a sourcerer, and trouble in large doses as he becomes too powerful for his own and the world's good . Rincewind tries not to sort things out but, as is becoming a habit, unwillingly ends up saving the disc as we know it.
Main characters: Rincewind, Luggage, Librarian, Wizards of UU, Coin, Conina, Nijel the Destroyer, Four Hoursemen of the Apocralypse*, Vetinari the Patrician*
Other Notes: This is the first appearance of Vetinari as Patrician (henceforth known as Patrician), previous patricians were not the same.

Wyrd Sisters, 1988 [AA,UA,SP,V,GN]
Synopsis: It starts with regecide... in an homage to Macbeth and parts of Hamlet the witches are landed with a baby, which they manage to place into a troupe of players.
Main characters: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg*, Magrat Garlick*, the Fool*, Hwel*, Suan Ogg*, Jason Ogg*, Tomjon

Pyramids, 1989 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters: Chidder, Teppic, Dios, 'You Bastard' the camel, Ptraci, Ptaclusp

Guards, Guards!, 1989 [AA,UA,GN,SP]
Synopsis:
Main characters: Vimes,

Faust Eric, 1990 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters: Eric, Death

Moving Pictures, 1990 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:CMOT Dibbler,

Reaper Man, 1991 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters: The auditors*, DEATH, Mrs. Flitworth, Wizards of the UU, Priests of Ankh-Morpork, Mrs. Cake, Ludmilla, Reg Shoe*, Patrician,

Witches Abroad, 1991 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Magrat Garlick,

Small Gods. 1992 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Lords and Ladies, 1992 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Men at Arms, 1993 [AA,UA,SP]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Soul Music, 1994 [AA,UA,V]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Interesting Times, 1994 [AA,UA,SP]
Synopsis: Rincewind finds himself in the middle of a revolution in Agatean Empire situated on the mysterious Counterwiegh Continent (not by his choice, of course). He meets up with Cohen the Barbarian and his silver horde, who are attempting the biggest robbery on Discworld. Rincewind tries to escape in the opposite direction but innevitably ends up in the thick of it.
Main characters: Rincewind, Wizards (of UU), Twoflower, Cohen the Barbarian, Silver Horde, Lord Hong, Hex.

Maskerade, 1995 [AA,UA,SP]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Feet of Clay, 1996 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Hogfather, 1996 [AA, UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Jingo, 1997 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

The Last Continent, 1998 [AA,UA]
Synopsis: The Librarian is ill so the Wizards need to find Rincewind - instead they find a portal, which takes them onto the shores of the early disc where they meet a small god. Meanwhile Rincewind stranded on XXXX (which is also drying out) is trying to keep out of trouble - as usual this lands him in even more, until he accidentally fixes everything.
Main characters: Librarian, Wizards (of UU), Mrs. Whitlow, God of Evolution, Rincewind, Luggage

Carpe Jugulum, 1998 [AA,UA,SP]
Synopsis:King Verence decides to invite vampires to his daughter's naming ceremony. The vampires have been in training to resist their usual weaknesse. When they start make themselves a little too much at home Granny Weatherwax has to dig deep to find a way to make them lust tea instead of blood, with a little help from the other witches and a novice Omnian priest (not that she could admit that). Which party has bitten off more than they can chew?
Main characters: King Verence, Magrat, Vampyre family, Igor, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Agnes Nit, Perdita, Quite Reverend Mightily Oats, Nac mac Feegle, Hodgesaargh and a phoenix

The Fifth Elephant, 1999 [AA,UA,SP]
Synopsis: Vimes is sent on a diplomatic mission to Ubervald and discovers his suspicion that crimes occur where watch turn up is true.
Main characters: Vimes, Carott, Angua & other watch members,

The Truth, 2000 [AA,UA,SP]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Thief of Time, 2001 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable, 2001
Synopsis:
Main characters:Other notes: This novella is a richly illustrated by Paul Kidby.

The Amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents, 2001 [AA,SP]
Synopsis:
Main characters: Maurice,
Other notes:

  • This book won Terry Pratchett the Carnegie Medal for the best children's book of 2001
  • As this book is more obviously aimed at children it also breaks the mold and has chapters.
  • The first mention of Maurice and his Educated Rodents was in Reaper Man

Night Watch, 2002 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Wee Free Men, 2003
Synopsis:
Main characters: Tiffany Aching*,
Other Notes: Similarly to The Amazing Maurice this book also has chapters, probably to aid parents reading as a bedtime story.

Monstrous Regiment, 2003 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

A Hat Full of Sky, 2004
Synopsis:
Main characters: Tiffany Aching, the Nac Mac McFeegles, Miss Level
Other Notes: Similarly to The Amazing Maurice this book also has chapters, probably to aid parents reading as a bedtime story.

Going Postal, 2004 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: This books also has chapters each with an 'In which...' introduction.

In collaboration...

Discworld

The Streets of Ankh Morpork, 1993
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: This map was co-written and illustrated by Stephen Briggs.

The Discworld Companion, 1994
Synopsis: An A-Z guide to the characters, places, flora and fauna of Discworld, with sketches and maps of the key locations. This original work is, of course, now out-of-date as more characters, locations etc. have come to light in later works.
Main characters: All of them know prior to about 1995
Other Notes: This book was co-written and illustrated by Stephen Briggs.

The Discworld Mapp, 1995
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: This map was co-written and illustrated by Stephen Briggs.

Discworld Quizbook: The Unseen University Challenge, 1996
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes:

The Pratchett Portfolio: A Compendium of Discworld Characters, 1996
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: This book is illustrated by Paul Kidby.

A Tourist Guide to Lancre: A Discworld Mapp, 1998
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: This map was co-written and illustrated by Stephen Briggs & Paul Kidby.

Discworld: GURPS*, 1998
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: Co-written with Terry Masters, illustrated by Paul Kidby and published by Steve Jackson Games.

The Flying Sorcerers, 1999
Synopsis: Terry Pratchett's short story Turntables of the Night starts this collection of 24 various stories spanning the 20th Century collated by Peter Hainin
Main characters: Death,
Other Notes:

Science of the Discworld, 1999
Synopsis: With Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen
Main characters:

Death's Domain: A Discworld Map, 1999
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: Illustrated by Paul Kidby

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, 1999
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: In conjunction with Stepen Briggs, Tina Hannan and Paul Kidby

Discworld Also [GURPS], 2002
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: Co-written with Terry Masters and published by Steve Jackson Games.

Discworld Roleplaying Game, 2002
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: Co-written with Phil Masters and published by Steve Jackson Games.

Science of the Discword II; The Globe, 2002
Synopsis: With Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen
Main characters:

The New Discworld Companion, 2004
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes:

Science of the Discword III; Darwin's Watch, 2005
Synopsis: With Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen this book explores evolution, parallel universes and
Main characters:

Other

Good Omens, 1990
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes:This book was co-written with Neil Gaiman, of Sandman fame

"Children's"

Bromeliad trilogy

Truckers, 1989 [AA,GN,V]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Diggers, 1990 [AA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Wings, 1990 [AA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Johnny Maxwell trilogy

Only You Can Save Mankind, 1992 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Johnny and the Dead, 1993 [AA,UA,SP,V]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Johnny and the Bomb, 1996 [AA,UA]
Synopsis:
Main characters:

Other

The Carpet People, 1971 & 1992
Synopsis:
Main characters:
Other Notes: This was first released as an illustrated* children's story book in 1971, there are very few of this first edition remaininf and they are now collectors items. It was completely rewritten and re-released in 1992, without the illustrations, alas. See also The Carpet People

Other books

The Unadulterated Cat, 1989
Synopsis: This book is a campaign for real cats, as opposed to the 'mass market' breeds. It seeks to explain real cats their types and their ways and offers advice on a wide range of issues, from naming and training to how to bring them up with other children and animals.
Main characters: Cats, lots of them!
Other Notes: This book is amply illustrated by Gray Joliffe

Dark Side of the Sun, 1976

Strata, 1981

Other formats

Audio

All the books marked AA have an abridged audio version, published by Corgi. These are narrated by Tony Robinson.

All the discworld books marked UA have an unabridged audion version, published by Isis. The majority are narrated by Nigel Planer, however, Celie Imry narrated some of the earlier witch books and Stephen Briggs narrated some of the later books. The Johnny Maxwell trilogy unabridged versions are published by Chivers Children's Audio Books and narrated by Richard Mitchley.

Calenders and diaries

Mini calander blocks were produced by the Ink Group for 2001, illustrated by Josh Kirby

Illustrated wall calenders were also produced by Gollancz for 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 featuring illustrations by various artists Josh Kirby, Paul Kidby and Graham Higgins.

Diaries, again featuring illustration by various artists Josh Kirby, Paul Kidby and Graham Higgins each year had a different theme/reflectin an Anke-Moorpork guild or group: 1998 - the Unseen University; 1999 - City Watch; 2000 - Assasins' Guild; 2001 - Fools' Guild; 2002 - Thieves' Guild; 2003 - (Reformed) Vampyres'

Computer

Three computer games* based on the discworld in recent years: Discworld 1; Discworld 2: Missing presumed?; and Discworld Noir

Book about Terry Pratchett worth mentioning

Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature, 2000
Edited by: Andrew M. Butler and Farah Mendlesohn
Synopsis:


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2372447

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more