Word of the Week

0 Conversations

In the dim dark recesses of h2g2 history before we moved lock, stock and barrel to our new BBC home there used to be a front page feature The h2g2 Word of the Day. It was a way to highlight some of the lesser occurring or largely obscurer words in the English language. Sadly this feature was discontinued.

Until now...

Word for the Week

I'd like to thank dimmuborgir and his families' playing of 'Beyond Balderdash' for this weeks word. So as well as Ohio providing the first Primary win for John Kerry this week that great American state is also proud to give you:

Farding-bag
n. The Upper Stomach of a cow, or other ruminant
animal; the rumen

The word had never been used on h2g2 before last week when it was
suggested for this column. However doing a quick search on the internet
shows it turning up on various mobile phone pages mentioned in conjunction with ring tones. Also it is mentioned in close association with Naval references so there may be a device based on the part of the cow or even using it. Any sailors out there please advise.

From the Archive

As the word of the week looks at the rumination mechanisms of animal I've chosen this week's recycling from the archives to be along a similar theme, even though it does apply more to plants. We sadly have no record of who suggested this word for Word of the Day as there is no refence I could find doing a search. If it was you please shout.

Saprotrophic
adj. Biology Feeding on decaying matter.

This week's work has actually been used in the edited guide - no doubt to the relief of all you biologists, biochemists or whatever out there. The researcher who used it was Hussassan the Silicon Samurai in his informative entry Classification of Living Organisms. Strangely, some of you might think, this word has not be used at all in polite conversation on h2g2.

How can you contribute?

  1. Go and check out words in the archive to
    avoid duplication.
  2. Check out the discussion threads and nominate a word that you feel was overlooked before discontinuation.
  3. Suggest a new word or your forgotten word in the word of the week archive
    conversation.

The Word of the Week
Archive

Demon Drawer

26.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2342774

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more