A Conversation for The West Memphis Three

Peer Review: A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 1

Mike D'Anna

Entry: The 'West Memphis Three' - A2319068
Author: Redstar2112 - U552128

I noticed there was no entry on this rather notorious legal case in the guide, so I'm submitting one. Feedback appreciated!


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 2

J

Awful thing, this smiley - erm Not the entry though. That was very good indeed. Just a couple of things-

“after the trail” --> “after the trial”

And the title could simply be The West Memphis Three. No need for the quotes. Unless you want them smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

yeesh that's horrible.
good entry.


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 4

Saturnine



I've been following this case for a while Redstar smiley - ok I'll check it out in just a minute.


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 5

McKay The Disorganised

Justice must be one of the most abused words in the Englsh Language.

Sad entry Red - reads like a B movie script.

smiley - cider


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 6

Cyzaki

You don't say whether the guy who was sentenced to death had his sentence carried out - surely this has a big impact on the story?

smiley - panda


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 7

Mike D'Anna

Damien remains behind bars pending appeals. I thought this was made clear in the following paragraph, but perhaps not clear enough.

smiley - ok


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 8

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Yikes - this sounds dreadful! I think this is a good entry and ought to go in - it can be updated if (or hopefully when) the case is re-opened. I think you've done a really good job being neutral here - it's not a case that's easy to be neutral about from what you've said.

It's very worrying how often fabricated confessions seem to appear in these kinds of cases. Similar things have happened in the UK with people with learning difficulties, but hopefully not for a while...

Can I suggest a few changes / point out a few typos:

The aftermath para 2
"He like to wear black clothing" > "He liked to wear black clothing"

Could you explain for a UK audience what Miranda rights are? I'm guessing that this is something to do with having a responsible adult present during interviews.

The investigation penultimate paragraph:
"Jesse, who is borderline retarded".
Because guide entries have to be written in British English, it's probably worth changing "borderline retarded" to something like "moderate learning difficulties". "Retarded" - to the British reader - is not a very PC expression, and isn't one that the mainstream media would use any more. I know this is different elsewhere (e.g. in Australia), so I'm not accusing you of being un-PC smiley - smiley but perhaps an alternative formulation would be better.

The investigation penultimate paragraph
"without knowing his rights or the benefit of council"
Should that be counsel?

The trial of Jesse Misskelly para 2 and throughout
"defense" -> "defence" (British English)

"The trial of Jason and Damien"
Probably better to use surnames, as this implies a bit more detachment / neutrality.

Hope this helps...

Otto


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 9

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

As far as I can tell this is very close to being recommendable, it just needs Redstar to take care of those points raised by Otto.

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 10

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

As Gosho says smiley - ok

Plus in the sentence 'a bright, though introverted teenager whom, in a larger suburban or metropolitan area, would never have been noticed for a second.' it should be 'who' instead of 'whom'.
signifigantly-> significantly
miscarraiges -> miscarriage
rescource -> resource (2x)
recieve -> receive

As to the Miranda warnings, you can link to A593688 .


smiley - cheers
Bossel


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 11

Mike D'Anna

Thanks so much for the comments, all smiley - ok

All suggestions/corrections have been made, and a footnote & link explaining Miranda rights was added. let me know if there's anything else!
smiley - ok


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 12

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

In a nutshell: no smiley - biggrin


smiley - cheers
Bossel


A2319068 - The 'West Memphis Three'

Post 13

sprout

An excellent entry and one that should be picked soon.

smiley - cheers

sprout


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Well done smiley - ok Very glad to see this going into the EG.


Key: Complain about this post