A Conversation for The Don't Panic Help Centre

Strange tag in guide ml land

Post 1

The Old World

Ive seen a few tags that look like this recently


And recently one that was a .jpg file

Are these from around the BBC?
Why the change/difference do you know?

Also the main reason for my questions. Is there a way to take images off the BBC main site and use them in guide enteries? If you look around my personal space you'll see the beginnings (yes im mad, 12 location is only the beginning) of a complete fantasy world based on the real world. Theres not enough pictures to go round every single location so Im wondering if its possible to take some from the main site so i can have one from each page.

It makes a lot of sense in a way, because the BBC main site moderates it self, although i should imagine that it'd put a lot of strain on the server...


Strange tag in guide ml land

Post 2

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Hi The Old World

Originally pictures were stored in the database and displayed on h2g2 pages using the tag but this method started to misbehave, resulting in pictures not being displayed. To solve this problem the pictures made for h2g2 more recently have been stored as GIFs and jpegs and accessed, as you point out, using . The pictures that will display using this tag are those that the BBC know it has the right to display on h2g2 - and in many cases it owns or shares the copyright.

Elsewhere on the BBC, the pictures are from a variety of sources and aren't all owned by the BBC. In many cases, the pictures are stock images - or otherwise owned by a third party - and the BBC has negotiated, or even paid for, the right to use them on a specific page for a limited period of time. The BBC wouldn't have the right to use these pictures on, say, h2g2 as well.

Amy smiley - antsmiley - artist


Strange tag in guide ml land

Post 3

The Old World

Ahh rite okay makes sense, just a confusing peice of guide ml that i hadnt seen before. Probably the only person thats been bothered and was curious bout it.

smiley - biggrin ta


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more