A Conversation for GG: Icelandic Pronunciation

Peer Review: A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: How to pronounce Icelandic - A2141812
Author: Gnomon - U151503

A straightforward reference to Icelandic pronunciation.


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 2

Pimms

Cracking entry Gnomon smiley - biggrin. I must admit guessing when it came to reading placenames in Desmond Bagley's Running Blind. I wonder if the Manx mountain should be pronounced as in Icelandic?

typo: most letters are pronounced indivually - missing your 'id' (good for my ego to offer a correction smiley - winkeye)

Pimms smiley - injured
(so do you speak a bit of Icelandic, correspond with an Icelander (such as Ismarah with whom you wrote the Iceland entry) or possess a handy phrasebook?)


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Pimms. I put in Snæfell specially for you!

I learnt how to pronounce Icelandic on a trip to Iceland many years ago from our tour guide, Cathy Harlow. I see she is writing books about Iceland now.


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 4

Geggs

Okay, here's why I didn't look at this before.

It's the title really. It reads like the entry will take you through how to pronounce the word 'Icelandic'. Clearly, had I known you wrote it, I would have been so judgemental over the title.

Maybe if it was called something like 'A Guide to Icelandic Pronounciation' or something.


Geggs


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

That didn't stop people looking at my 'How to pronounce Italian' entry. Maybe people wondered if it was "it-alian" or "eye-talian".

smiley - biggrin


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 6

Cyzaki

I was gonna stop by and say the title needs changing, but someone else already did that smiley - tongueout

smiley - panda


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, by popular demand I've changed the title, although I couldn't see anything wrong with it myself. Isn't this Peer Review great?

smiley - smiley


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 8

Z

Excellent entry Guys smiley - biggrin


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 9

J

I reykon ðis is a pretty good entry smiley - smiley

Do you need the conclusion though?

smiley - blacksheep


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

You're right, Jodan. The conclusion was a waste of space. I've replaced it with a Further Reading on Iceland section with links to other h2g2 Edited Entries.


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 11

.

It's always hard to write stuff about pronunciation, but I like this entry. smiley - smiley

Can the o with umlaut (two dots on top) sometimes be written without the umlaut, but using another letter? This happens in German, where an E can go after a vowel if an umlaut is not available (in email addresses for example). Does this happen at all in Icelandic?

Niwt smiley - cheers


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Niwt, I don't know whether o umlaut can be written oe as in German. I suspect it can't.


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 13

.

smiley - ok I wonder what they do when no dots are available then. Maybe they just leave it.


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

You're right. They just leave it. For example, the Manntöl section of the Íslendingabók is at http://www.islendingabok.is/IServlets/Manntol.jsp. The accents have all been omitted in the URL.


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 15

.

smiley - ok


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 16

Recumbentman

The very model of a snappy Guide Entry.smiley - cool

Just a gripelet: some people might know the word pâté better than the word pate, and get confused, poor dears. Would "page", "pale", "pane" or "paper" do better if you want to stick to p-words?


A2141812 - How to pronounce Icelandic

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

Quite right! I've changed 'pate' to 'pale'.

I remember Fozzie Bear saying "Verily I did strike him on the paté".

smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Pimms

Well Done Gnomon smiley - bubbly

Pimms smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - biggrin

Thanks!

and thank you, whoever picked this.smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post