Preventing Hip Fractures

1 Conversation

The femur (hipbone) is the strongest and heaviest bone in the body.



Each year there are over 320,000 hospitalizations for hip fractures.



White, post-menopausal women have a one in seven chance of sustaining a hip injury during their lifetime.



Women with slight frames are at a higher risk for osteoporosis, and therefore hip fractures.

The hip is the most powerful bone in the body, but with age, it becomes vulnerable. Osteoporosis in the bone can cause weakness and fracture. Protect your hip to prevent injury.

Build those bones

Women and the elderly are at particular risk for hip fractures, but there are some steps you can take to reduce your risk. Consume at least 1,000 milligrams of calcium daily to strengthen your bones, and supplement it with approximately 400 iu (international units) of Vitamin D, to aid in calcium absorption. Potassium and phosphorus reduce the absorption of bone calcium into the stream, and prevent the loss of bone density. Dairy products, canned sardines and salmon, soy, and green leafy vegetables are rich in all these vitamins and minerals. Initial studies suggest that onions may reduce the bone breakdown process by as much as 20%.

Avoid bad habits

Smoking and excessive alcohol intake have been linked to hip fractures. Caffeine reduces calcium absorption, as can excessive protein intake. Obesity puts extra strain on the bone, leading to fracture. Avoid all three. Modify your diet and begin an exercise regimen to slim down, if necessary.

Get moving

Weight-bearing exercise is a powerful preventative of hip fracture. Walking, stair-climbing, dancing, tennis, and weight training are excellent ways to build bone mass. Swimming and exercises that don’t put weight on your hips are healthy, but have no effect on bone density. Begin with five to ten minutes of walking daily, and work up to a half hour.

Avoid a fall

Make your home safe by removing obstacles that could cause you to trip and fall. Fasten down loose rugs. Run cords along the walls or under carpets. Keep halls and stairways well lit, and don’t leave objects on the stairs. Keep a slip-resistant rug next to the bathtub, put a rubber mat in the shower, and consider handrails around the bathroom.

Medical help

Ask your doctor about to prevent bone density loss. Also consider a hip protection device to absorb the impact, should you fall. for anxiety, depression, or insomnia can cause dizziness. Consult your physician if you are taking such a prescription.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A21242819

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more