A Conversation for Ten Lords A-Leaping

Leaping for joy

Post 1

Jan^

Peers of the Realm rejoicing that, except for an unlucky few, they no longer have to listen to boring speeches in the House of Lords until the wee small hours. Instead they can enjoy their traditional pursuits of drinkin', eatin', drinkin', huntin', shootin', fishin' and drinkin' without let or hindrance - until huntin' is banned that is, but it's Christmas so we won't think about that now.


Leaping for joy

Post 2

Cupid Stunt

They just found out about lucon!


Leaping for joy

Post 3

Avatar

Yeah, whenever I hear this lyric, I always imagine the British Parliament (or Congress, or whatever you all call it), and suddenly ten people from the House of Lords jump up and start pirouetting out of the room for no apparent reason.

(Sproing) Whee! (Sproing) Whee! (Sproing) Whee!

--- Avatar



Leaping for joy

Post 4

C Hawke

Lords-a-leaping was the initial plan for the UK government to get rid of the hererditary peirs AND keep the Countryside chaps happy (sorry non-UK researchers, you have to be here to believe it).

Basically the Lords would be set loose into the country side naked and the rest of the population invited to hunt them down. To add fun they would occasionally be catapulted over hoards of peasents, (sorry ordinary country folk) who would show their appreciation of 1000 years of serfdom (oops sorry again) by shooting at them

Shame realy
smiley - smiley
Chris


Leaping for joy

Post 5

Cupid Stunt

What exactly do lords have to be cheerful about, apart from the abovementioned?


Leaping for joy

Post 6

DelphicOracle

I thought that "lords a-leaping" was just a corruption of "lords sleeping". Their complete lack of activity may have cost them their places in Parliament, but it certainly would have made them easier to wrap...


Leaping for joy

Post 7

Cupid Stunt

Well, theres allways that of course.


Leaping for joy

Post 8

Researcher Frin E. Frin

They get to say things like Toodle Pip!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more