A Conversation for Five Gold Rings

Pedantry re continents

Post 1

TenthStone

I think the five continents are North America, South America, Africa, Australia, and Eurasia, although I'm not quite sure.


Pedantry re continents

Post 2

Insert cute nicname here.

I was always under the impression that they stood for Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and one ring for the Americas, North and South collectively.


Pedantry re continents

Post 3

goldfish

Swap "Australia" for "Oceania" and you're spot on.


Pedantry re continents

Post 4

hickory

I agree that the continents represented are North America,
South America, Eurasia, Africa, and Australia
I have never heard of an Olympic team coming from Antarctica.


Pedantry re continents

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

The traditional 5 continents were Europe (of course it came first!), Africa, Asia, America and Australia.

Antarctica was off the bottom of the map, so it didn't count.

North America and South America were considered to be one continent. Europe and Asia were two.

Australia was the fifth continent, not Australasia, not Oceania.

My grand-aunt taught me this. She was born in 1895 and never heard of modern terms like Eurasia, Antarctica or Geology.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more