In Other Words

2 Conversations

In Other Words by Amy the Ant

As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, I can't help but be a tad confused as to why we celebrate it in the first place.

Now I'm not referrin' to you Brits, Lord knows you don't celebrate a holiday based around our young countrysmiley - smiley. But honestly. What's it for? So the pilgrims, cranky from having no choice of church, mosey over the pond to the US to do what? Burn witches! Woooeee! You looked funky, they burned you. You acted odd, they burned you. You sacrificed their first born, they burned you. Sheesh. Talk about religious oppression. Then, the friendly pilgrims found the Indians! (Much to the Indian's dismay) and to show how incredibly grateful and thankful we were for their hospitality, friendliness, and assistance through the harsh winter months, we stole all their land! No Hallmark greeting card thank-you for those Indians, we colonists went all out!

I'm personally convinced that the whole first Thanksgiving supper never actually took place. And if it did, thinks were probably more than hostile.

INDIAN: 'Me Squanto. Squanto like...'

WHITE OPPRESSOR: 'Shut up, you. Pass the sweet potatoes.'

INDIAN: 'Me like...'

WHITE OPPRESSOR: 'Ok, that's it. We're having red meat for dinner tomorrow!'

All those who agree, shout 'ole!' Now, the hilarious and horribly coincidental thing about this theory is that my family Thanksgiving dinners are quite similar. You have the savage but well-meaning children, and the cruel demeaning adults!

CHILD: 'Aunt MAY! Look what I can do!'

ADULT: 'Can it. The game is on.'

CHILD: 'But Aunt Maaaaaaaaaay...'

ADULT: 'Ok, that's it. Bill, get the leash. Timmy's eating Thanksgiving dinner in the garage.'

For more on my typical family dinners, feel free to read my Easter article. They're aaaaaaaall the same. How is it one can properly give thanks when they're hoarding all the green bean casserole or hiding the dark meat in the dishwasher so no one else can have any? *sigh* okay... it was ME! And I'd do it again, too! Muahahahha!smiley - evilgrin And just like the pilgrims, my family burns things, too! The corn casserole, the turkey, the stuffing, the water... never again do we let Grandma cook when we haven't first administered her medication.

Aaaah, the holidays. A time to remember our ancestors who shaped this country. Unless of course you're Indian, African American, French, Mexican, or handicapped. In which case, find someone ELSE to reminisce about, you air-hogging hooligans! (JUST JOKING!!!!!!!) *phew* I love Americans.smiley - erm

Your Little h2g2'er,

Darth Zaphodsmiley - planet

In Other Words
Archive

27.11.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2075357

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more