A Conversation for Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Update Forum: A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 1

spook

Entry: Freddy Krueger - The Film Character - A2063251
Author: spook - U183955

A381115 is the original entry. I think this update is just a tad more accurate and detailed.smiley - winkeye

spook smiley - orangefish


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I especially like the addition of the headers/subheaders, rough timeline, etc.

Have you taken a quick read through to check and see that all the sentences say what you wanted them to say? I found several that were rather unclear, such as:

"Freddy can only return to the children of his murdered, people brought in to the dream world by someone he can visit, or family."

and here,

"Most of the movies focus on Freddy's past, and have new ways to defeat him, with Freddy always finding a way to return." -- but you said a few sentences earlier that Freddy can't be defeated -- I'm assuming you mean new ways to try and defeat him? Or new ways to stall him, or something like that? I think it would be interesting, BTW, to have some of this kind of info in the movie by movie summaries -- how did the people go after Freddy in each movie?

Oh, and this is quite a run-on: "Although these are the characteristics of a classic horror character, Freddy kills with such inventiveness, and the fact that he invades dreams, that very personal domain, makes him all the more terrifying."

Given that you haven't completely obliterated the text and content of the original, I think you really should be crediting the original authors on your entry as well.

Just my smiley - 2cents
-- Mikey





A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 3

spook

i don#t think crediting them here is needed as their names will stay with the edited version. i almost added them but then did what i always do and pressed update not set researchers, and it was a bit too late after that when i finished the update.

by finding new ways to defeat him, i mean defeat him in that battle, but he will always return to win the war.

i'll update later.

spook


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 4

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Why is it too late to add them on now? You can add researchers on at any point to the list of credits.

You've used their words in this entry, they need to be shown in the credits -- it's that simple.


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 5

spook

it was a bit too late ie about 12.30 at night and i was too tired to find the previous entry, find their usernumbers and add them!


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 6

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Here's the U-numbers:

U35204
U109491
U113477

Have you contacted (or attempted to, but at least one of them is still active) the authors of the original to let them know about the update?

smiley - mouse


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 7

spook

i'll add them when i get back from a meeting i have. i haven't attempted to contact anyone, as the original author is inactive (U109491).


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 8

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Yes, but U35204 is still active.

And as was found on the first entry to go through the Update system, just because an author isn't active doesn't mean he isn't paying attention. An author who hadn't posted in ages suddenly reappeared after I got Jodan to leave a message on his personal space telling him about the update.

smiley - mouse


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 9

spook

i've contacted the original author.

also, i've made a few updates to the entry:

- i've corrected a couple of typing errors
- expanded on info about the movies
- added information about freddy's other appearances

spook smiley - orangefish


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Looking better!

1) I do see an awful lot of typos. Since entries from this forum generally won't be going to sub-editors, we're supposed to take care of such details as much as possible here in the thread. Would you rather do the typo hunt on your own first, or have people point them out here?

2) I also think this entry could benefit greatly from some good links. Personally, I'd be in favor of separate IMDB links for each of the individual movies. And there's also other good links to think of, like:

http://www.nightmareonelmstreet.com/coroner.htm -- it's an official site, but still has some interesting info

http://www.anightmareonelmstreet.net/home_page.htm -- lots of good trivia

3) In the individual movies, I might consider mentioning a bit more about those actors who are big names now, although they weren't then -- Johnny Depp is the first to spring to mind -- this was his first appearance ever, 3 years before 21 Jump Street even. Patricia Arquette (in the 3rd one) is another, and there's probably more.

Just my smiley - 2cents
-- Mikey


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 11

spook

i'd rather people point them out. each time i read through i look for them, and have picked up a few, but there's probably a load in there i'll continually miss.

i'll look for a few links. i thought about perhaps putting actors in there, but wasn't sure. i'd rather the entry focus on the movies and mythology of freddy then the actors involved.

spook smiley - orangefish


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 12

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Okay, I'll go through and post a typo list sometime soon.

I'd think Johnny Depp should at least get a footnote, even if you don't mention any other victim actors.

smiley - mouse


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 13

The Apprentice

Yes, U35204 is very much active - and, spook, has been around here forever and doesn't appreciate being crowded out of an article like this.

I'm going to lodge a complaint about the update system. I found the Freddy entry had suddenly bubbled up on my page - and when I saw it had been updated I couldn't work out where the process was happening (I didn't see the Update Forum link) - so I posted a complaint over at Feedback.

Then I saw the link...

Anyway - I'm a researcher of 4 1/2 years and an editor for a lot of that - and I'm taking a big issue with this Update process. That you weren't going to include the original authors is staggering. That I was called into the process was frustrating.

I'll go through the article and provide feedback (I noted a spelling mistake on the main entry page, to start with).

smiley - steam

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 14

spook

"That you weren't going to include the original authors is staggering. That I was called into the process was frustrating."

this line just doesn't make sense to me. you were always going to be added, as any update would not change the researcher list of the edited entry, only add to it, but what really confuses me is the called into the process bit. could you explain that please?

spook smiley - orangefish


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 15

caper_plip

Hi there!

This certainly gives more information than the originalsmiley - smiley

Here are my thoughts:

- Isn't it '5, 6, grab your crucifix', rather than an indefinite one?smiley - huh
- 'confussion' should be 'confusion'
- Amanda Krueger was otherwise known as Sister Mary Helena, which is what she is mainly known as in Elm Street 3
- 'uncertainw' - 'uncertain'
- '100 insane murders' - weren't they dangerous psychiatric patients, rather than murderers? And I think Freddy was the bastard son of 100 maniacs, rather than criminals, but I'll have to check that...
- I believe Freddy was brought up by a violent foster-father, who was played by Alice Coopersmiley - biggrin
- Freddy worked in a power plant, rather than a factory... perhaps you could mention that he lived in a boiler room, as that's where many of the nightmares take place
- perhaps you could mention Kristen in the part on Elm Street 3, as strictly she is the one who has the 'power' to pull the others into her dreams
- I thought Amanda Krueger committed suicide when Freddy was arrested? Or perhaps I need to watch it again...smiley - biggrin

Maybe you could also add that some people are attracted to the kudos surrounding Freddy's glove. I believe there's a interview on BBCi Films where Robert Englund was saying that he was stalked by a couple of goth girls when he was in a Halloween parade dressed up as Freddy and they were promising all these sexual favours that they would do to him and the glove, which freaked him out...smiley - yikes

Caper Plipsmiley - artist


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 16

caper_plip

Just remembered - Springwood is originally in California, but in later films the town suddenly moves to Ohio for some reason, and Freddy still manages to slash people aboutsmiley - biggrin


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 17

The Apprentice

"That I was NOT called into the process"

Sheesh. Having read your revised entry you aren't quite yet in the position to be getting picky about my spelling and dropped words!

smiley - winkeye

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 18

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

"this line just doesn't make sense to me. you were always going to be added, as any update would not change the researcher list of the edited entry, only add to it"

Actually, Spook, that's not entirely true. Updates which are complete rewrites generally don't include the original authors as credits, but those are supposed to go through Peer Review rather than the Update Forum.

However, Apprentice, I think you might do well to read the info on the front of the Update page before blowing up quite so much about how awful the whole Update process is. Those of us who were involved in pulling it together put quite a decent chunk of work into it, and everyone was given the opportunity to comment -- with subs and scouts invited especially, from what I remember.

And regardless of whether spook had credited the original authors on this entry, those credits would have been retained on the updated EG version of the entry. Spook pointed that out as well -- I just wanted them added to this copy because I'm a firm believer in *always* giving credit where credit is due, not just in the Edited Guide.

Spook, I think what the Apprentice is referring to as being "called into the process" is that when you added his U-number to entry, it suddenly showed up on his page, and no one had told him what was going on. This is one of the reasons that I make a practice of notifying *all* of the authors of an entry about one of my updates, before the A-number goes live.

smiley - mouse


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 19

The Apprentice

The comments in your last paragraph are very much correct. It was the surprise value that didn't get me in the right mood.

And of the Update process - I've asked in the past and never got much joy on how it would work. And don't recall the messages about being invited into the process - so, maybe I was vacationing from Subbing at that point.

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist


A2063251 - Freddy Krueger - The Film Character

Post 20

spook

Hey Caper Plip, thanks for those comments. I'll update the entry tomorrow evening on them. in reply to them now though:

"Isn't it '5, 6, grab your crucifix'"

very possibly. i'm sure a website i looked at said 'a', but my friend thought it may have been your when he read it earlier, so i'll check this out.

"Amanda Krueger was otherwise known as Sister Mary Helena, which is what she is mainly known as in Elm Street 3"

thanks, i couldn't remember what she was known as.

"'100 insane murders' - weren't they dangerous psychiatric patients, rather than murderers? And I think Freddy was the bastard son of 100 maniacs, rather than criminals, but I'll have to check that..."

i'm sure they were murderers, and it was criminals. i'll make sure i check though.

"I believe Freddy was brought up by a violent foster-father, who was played by Alice Cooper"

i can't remember this from any of the movies. was this mentioned in the tv series which i haven't seen since they aren't all released or easily available.

"Freddy worked in a power plant, rather than a factory... perhaps you could mention that he lived in a boiler room, as that's where many of the nightmares take place"

he died at the power plant right? in the different dreams the power plant always seems like one large boiler room.

"perhaps you could mention Kristen in the part on Elm Street 3, as strictly she is the one who has the 'power' to pull the others into her dreams"

could be worth a mention. i'm never sure how much detail to put in the summary as i don't want to end up ruining the movie for those who haven't seen it yet (ps i haven't seen freddy Vs jason yet, i'm getting that info of my friend, so if any of it is inaccurate or something important is missing then please let me know)

"I thought Amanda Krueger committed suicide when Freddy was arrested? Or perhaps I need to watch it again..."

i think you need to watch it again. i watched number 5 a week or two ago, and i'm sure when freddy was released he killed her in the tower place, which is why her spirit needed to be released by someone, so that she could stop freddy.


as for the glove, i'll have to think about that one!smiley - smiley

spook smiley - orangefish


Key: Complain about this post