A Conversation for Cartoon Corner

Lined up like tin cans on a log!!!

Post 1

GreeboTCat

If only me had a peashooter... or one of those newfangled elastic band guns... what fun!!!!

Greebs..xx


Lined up like tin cans on a log!!!

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Speaking of goons, what were those strange creatures called that often appeared as a mindless unstoppable army of thousands toward the end of Popeye's career in the comix. Weren't they goonies? Popeye used to tear thru them like fire on paper. Or is that paper on fire?

Inquiring mines juan 2 no!

smiley - biggrin
jwf


Lined up like tin cans on a log!!!

Post 3

GreeboTCat

Hmm... you've stumped me with that one... ~grin~... the only Goonies me knows is the film of the same name... not a big popeye fan you see... always thought Bluto and the gang rather scary...

Greebs..xx


Lined up like tin cans on a log!!!

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Yeah, Bluto was very scary. And loud! And a very distasteful racial stereotype, one of the worst the American 'arts' ever produced.

Criticism by immigrants from several eastern European countries complaining that Bluto was too evil and too stupid and made them all look like 'bohunks' was one reason the producers went to those anonymous look-alike blob creatures as the 'bad guys'. I find it hard to describe them because they had no identifiable racial features or accent and few real physical features. They were just an infinite number of marching white lumps and Popeye could wade thru them like... well, y'know. Maybe there were called Boobies? Something like that.

I never did care much for Olive. Too thin and she whined all the time. The 'baby' character was a pain in the diaper. And Wimpy was no role model for anyone - except, sadly, me. All he ever said was, "Lookout Popeye!" or "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

But the Popeye 'message' was clear, dietary supplements make the man. Or, when in doubt, eat canned veg.


~jwf~


Lined up like tin cans on a log!!!

Post 5

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do believe they were called "Goons".
I don't remember the entymology of either Segar or Sellers, et als use of the word, but I might look into it during a bare patch in my day.

The original "Thimble Theatre" comic strip that Popeye emerged as a character from was very much different from the aminations.

I, on the whole, prefer the longer earlier Fleischer animated films to the later shorts.

And be careful, Greebs, Neddy's been known to actually load his weapon a time or two and Grydpipe-Thynne has been known to use Moriarty as cover.

Not to mention the famous Battered Pudding, which is quite capable of sneaking up behind you and yelling "LURGIE!"


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Cartoon Corner

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more