A Conversation for The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Alternative Writing Workshop: A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 1

Hypatia

Entry: The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper - A1900289
Author: Hypatia (not watching the world series) - U200042

Happy Halloween, Jodan. Since you don't want peanyt M&M's for trick or treat, this will have to do. Be gentle. It's a first draft.

H smiley - ghost


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 2

J

smiley - hug In all my months in the AWW - the first thing for me smiley - smiley

I'm off for a read.

Nakedsmiley - sheep


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 3

J

H - I had no idea you were capable of this. smiley - wow

If there was one thing that bothered me about the whole thing, it was the line "I have spent nearly ninety of your earth years..." I realize he's probably become detatched from earth, but I just find it distracting... I've seen too many bad alien movies smiley - winkeye

Very neato. I expected a horror-ish story, but it's very intelligent and interesting. Strong ending too. 'Then I will be free' is a great way to end it, I think.

smiley - smooch

Nakedsmiley - sheep


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 4

Hypatia

I'll change that line. Well, it started out to be a horror story. Halloween coming up and all. But then I got sidetracked. smiley - erm I could change the tone and make it more like a horror story throughout if you think it would be better that way.


H


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 5

Hypatia

Done. Phrase removed. Do you think I should get rid of the next to last paragraph? Not say anything about being an apprentice guide? One paragraph makes it sound like he's continuing on and the next makes it sound like he's vanishing into nothingness - which was the original intent.

H


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 6

Bob McBob

Hi there!

smiley - smiley

I like it.

Er, there's one typo in "I have _spend_ nearly ninety years here in the university."

Here, have some smiley - cake and a smiley - stiffdrink
(You need a smiley - stiffdrink after reading that.)


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 7

Hypatia

Thanks Bob. smiley - stiffdrink drunk, smiley - cake eaten, and typo corrected.

If you were depressed reading it, imagine how I felt writing it. smiley - winkeye It's my first attempt at a horror-type story. Probably my last. smiley - laugh

H


A1900289 - The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 8

Bob McBob

No, no: keep at it! smiley - smiley

Did you know there's h2g2 fiction central (A294833)? It's run by Pereguin (last posted May 18th smiley - erm), but there's other stories there so if you need any help, or want to talk to any other hhgg writers, that's the place to go.


World series of what?

Post 9

LL Waz

smiley - cool story. I like the side track, it's interesting. I can see it's potential for horror too. I don't think it's a question of better, it would be different.

H, I think the last two paragraphs are confusing as they are, though it didn't spoil the story for me. I made sense of them by assuming he was continuing on at the university but with no sense of self, of identity, after that third death. He'd just be a part of some sort of gestalt of knowledge. But that does conflict with the indication earlier that the university is a stage of the journey.

The other way to understand it is that the choice to stay at the uni is a temporary one but " will work as an apprentice guide" sounds like a decision being made for some significant amount of time which conflicts with the idea that the third death is to come soon (with the death of Samuel) and that he is writing this as he looks back over his ninety years..

Another question I had from the second last paragraph was whether "But it will take ninety times ninety years to truly reach enlightenment." meant he was going to reach the third death without enlightenment? And if so what would be the consequences of that? Nothing I suppose, if he ends up as nothing.

I like the atsmosphere of this - that sort of detached view of his death, his hometown and of all that is happening as he becomes detached from his self.

The idea of becoming nothing is uncomfortable enough to qualify for Halloween even without the horror. So thanks H,
Waz smiley - yikes


World series of what?

Post 10

nadia

Wonderful. This would be perfect for a hallowe'en edition of the UG, should such a thing occur. If only you'd written it a week earlier. Still a good seasonal treat for thems of us that haunt the AWW. smiley - smiley

Not supposed to be here right now, (shh! You didn't see me!) so I'll come back and comment properly later.

smiley - orangefish


World series of what?

Post 11

Hypatia

Waz, I certainly agree that it's confusing and needs some reworking. What I was thinking toward the end was that with the third death Jeremiah would be gone forever and he would be free to assume a 'real' identity, move to a higher plane and strive for enlightenment there or reincarnate back into the physical plane and start all over again.

The germ of the idea comes from Arapaho culture where they believe in the 3 death philosophy. Of course I don't think they would put it into a reincarnation context.

Whether existence continues on some other level or not after the third death, Jeremiah will be gone forever. And I think that what we all fear is a loss of identity more than a loss of the physical body. That's why the idea of Heaven is so much more comforting that the Eastern idea of an endless cycle of lives. We want to remain who we are.

I'll work on it, but won't have time for it today. Soon, though. Thanks for reading it. smiley - smiley

H


World series of what?

Post 12

Hypatia

Speckly, I won't tell a soul. smiley - winkeye

H


The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 13

Hypatia

Ok, I've made some changes. I think it's better now. smiley - blush

Hsmiley - rainbow


The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 14

Spiff


Hi all, smiley - smiley

I read this piece a couple of days ago and liked it, but didn't know quite what to say, and coming back to have another look, i see that it has changed quite a bit, particularly the ending.

I still like it, and i think the reworked ending works. Why did you scrap the whole uni idea? Or more specifically, the idea of acting as a kind of guide and mentor to others during the final period? I thought that had some interesting connotations that worked well too.

Personally, I don't really like that final phrase. It states rather baldly something that doesn't seem quite to fit in with the generally 'christian' cultural background up til that point. Well, that was my initial reaction, anyhow.

Anyway, i like the overall style very much, and it was particularly interesting reading this foray into the world of prose after having seen several of your poems here. smiley - ok

cyaround
spiff


The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 15

Hypatia

Hi Spiff. smiley - smiley

I thought that the tone of the piece originally changed about half-way in, and I wanted to make it more consistent throughout. As for the ending, I was trying to show that Jeremiah's Christian preconceptions weren't realized. It seemed to fit more into the horror genre that way. And I wanted it to be a horror story for Halloween. smiley - blush

I think that the university/guide angle is interesting also. I'd like to do another piece sometime with something similar as the focus. In which case the story could be inspirational.

This is my first attempt to write horror, so I'm sure it has many flaws.

H


The Three Deaths of Jeremiah Harper

Post 16

Spiff


I hope you won't take it amiss if i suggest that this doesn't strike me as a 'horror' story at all.

It's all rather lovely, really. In any case, centred around thoughts of love and peace.

Or as they say in France, 'pisse ernd lerv'.

Well, they would'nt write it like that, but that's the way it'd sound. smiley - winkeye

Anyway, it doesn't so much 'give you the shivers' as inspire thoughts on the nature of life and death.

h'ppy h'ween
spiff


Congratulations

Post 17

UnderGuide Editors

Congratulations! Your Guide Entry has been picked from the Alternative Writing Workshop (AWW) by our miners and has been accepted by the editors for inclusion in the H2G2 UnderGuide! It will be featured on H2G2's front page in due course and then be displayed on the shelves of the UnderGuide.

More information on the UnderGuide can be found at A1103329. And to check what happens next go to 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at A1096544. A helpful friendly Gem Polisher will be dropping by your personal space soon to talk to you about the next stage of the process.

As the entry will be archived in the UnderGuide, it would help the miners in their search for new UnderGuide entries in the AWW if you would consider taking this version of your entry out of the AWW. This can be done by clicking on the 'X' or 'Remove' on the AWW page at <./>RF5</.> Feel no obligation to, however.

Thank you for contributing to the UnderGuide!

-The UnderGuide Editors Team


Congratulations

Post 18

UnderGuide Editors

By the way, this entry is being rushed to tommorow's front page (with its author's blessing of course) for a Halloween theme day. smiley - ghost

Jodan smiley - brr


Congratulations

Post 19

Hypatia

Thanks for your comments Spiff. Apparently I'm not cut out to write horror. smiley - laugh This story is about as horrific as I can become. Whatever genre the story is, I hope folks enjoy it. Actually, I'm glad it is more reflective than spooky - although I was shooting for spooky and didn't quite make it. Perhaps it will appeal to people at other times of the year this way.

But it's still good for the Halloween edition because it's about death. Thanks for rushing it in Jodan. smiley - hug

Hsmiley - rainbow


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more