Not All Asteroids Are Dangerous

3 Conversations

Just because of a handful of Earth-Crossers, asteroids have incurred an undeserved reputation for trouble-making. In fact, of the more than 11,000 known minor elements, as astronomers prefer to call them, most of them stick to several main orbital routes and have no interest whatever in spoiling your life.

As it's discovered and verified, each element is assigned a number indicating its order of discovery in The Ephemerides of Minor Planets, published yearly. The discoverer can then name the asteroid pretty much what he/she likes as long as it's not rude or embarrassing.

At first asteroids were named for mythological characters, and then gradually after wives, girlfriends, other scientists, famous dead people, geographical locations on Earth, cats, birds, and occasionally concepts. At this time, over 7,000 elements have proper names, and there is quite a fad on for birds.

A SAMPLING OF ASTEROID NAMES Veritas Mary Hartpoorpeesdam Rumpelstilz Arizona Symmetria Frigga Tianjin Cheshirecat NOT Boulder Imhotep Poseidon Latvia Elvira Douglas Mr. Spock Pittsburghia Irene Winchester

Evil Earth-Crossers

The orbit of an Earth-crosser may in fact intersect orbits of all the inner planets. This means that at any time their orbit is liable to perturbation by the gravity of frightened planets. Perturbation means change. So far, the Minor Planet Center at the Smithsonian Observatory is keeping on top of these changes, but a few odd bodies, such as Toro, Icarus and Apollo, bear close watching.

Missing Asteroids

Sometimes asteroids go missing. The most famous case is that of Hermes (the Magician), which disappeared before anyone could even slap a number on the chassis. The following minor elements are missing and unaccounted for:

473 Nolli 719 Albert 724 Hapag 878 Mildred 1026 Ingrid 1179 Mally And these asteroids were gone for a while but have turned up again: 452 Hamilton 843 Nicolaia 1538 Detre 330 Adalberta

DESIGNER ASTEROIDS: Is there one with your name on it?

Astrologers have recently begun salting horoscopes with personal name asteroids, with most interesting results. To find out more about asteroids and to belatedly realize that I haven't made any of this up, try the following link:

Link to asteroid specialist astrologer Jacob Schwartz

And if you're curious as to whether there exists an asteroid named after you or someone significant in your life, contact Asteroid Lil at her home page, here at the guide.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A181315

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more