A Conversation for The h2g2 Photographers

Attention Photographers!

Post 1

Skankyrich [?]

There's some important stuff going on in the group. If you haven't already, check your email that you registered on the group with - things are a-smiley - footprints

smiley - smiley


Attention Photographers!

Post 2

Skankyrich [?]

I'm trying to get this message to as many Photographers as possible - I've just send out a Special Notice for the dozen or so people who are only subscribed to those, but there may still be people here who haven't read any of the discussions. Here's the relevant part of the email I just sent out:


'We're redoubling our efforts to make the Photographers into a vibrant group again, but it's very difficult for us to do anything without knowing how many active members there are. At the moment, we have 33 members on the roster, but few of those contribute. It's therefore important for us to know who is still interested and who isn't - we could make grandiose plans based on a large membership, but if only half a dozen people still want to be involved it could be a lot of work for nothing.

If you're still keen on contributing to the group, by submitting photos or voting or both, I'd be grateful if you would let us know. If you don't intend to join in over the next few months, it would be helpful if you would remove yourself from the group (or ask me to remove you). If we haven't heard from people in a week or two, we may start removing people manually; we don't want to do that unless we really have to, but it's imperative that we know how many people still want to be involved. Bear in mind that if you do leave the group, you'll still be welcome to rejoin in the future if you wish to do so.

Apologies to all those of you who have contributed to the discussions over the last week or so; you must be getting tired of me bleating on by now...'

smiley - smiley


Attention Photographers!

Post 3

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Great to see the group being revitalised. I'm certainly in. smiley - smiley


Attention Photographers!

Post 4

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm still busy reading all the emails.smiley - laugh


Attention Photographers!

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ahem.... I'd like to stay a Photographer if I may smiley - smiley

Haven't been able to access yahoo (either mail or groups) since w*rk banned access to yahoo (and I had my yahoo password stored on my w*rk computer only).

After having managed to find a sneaky way to log on to yahoo, I discovered I can read my mails but when I try to reply to one, it crashes my IE. Not sure if I can reply to group messages since I no longer have the h2g2 Photographers on my yahoo groups' list.

Any chance of moving the group somewhere else than yahoo?


Attention Photographers!

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Ti, you could send your replies to me (email is in the Post account), and I'd forward them to the group.


Attention Photographers!

Post 7

bobstafford

Can you access AOL as that provides a back door to yahoo without leaving AOLsmiley - smiley


Attention Photographers!

Post 8

Titania (gone for lunch)

No idea - the ban/not ban seems to be depending on the IQ level of people having user accounts and how trusting they are when downloading attachments...


Attention Photographers!

Post 9

bobstafford

Good luck anyway I hope you get through irwill be nice to see youn there.smiley - smiley


Attention Photographers!

Post 10

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

In your Yahoo settings you can at least let the group messages be sent to a different address.


Attention Photographers!

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

Provided that I'm a member of said group but due to my lack of response, I'm no longer a member, I'm afraid...smiley - blush


Attention Photographers!

Post 12

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

oh...
Well, we can add you again if you give us your emailaddress.


Attention Photographers!

Post 13

Titania (gone for lunch)

Personenvereinze....

Oh, sorry, got a bit caught up trying to decipher that...

I think I'll drop my yahoo e-mail and go with my gmail one - both B'El and Rich know that one (I hope).


Attention Photographers!

Post 14

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - laugh it means turnstile smiley - winkeye

smiley - smiley that's good, then Rich will certainly add you again


Attention Photographers!

Post 15

Skankyrich [?]

Hopefully, you should be back in now smiley - smiley


Attention Photographers!

Post 16

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thank you!smiley - cheers


Attention Photographers!

Post 17

Elentari

Hello Tav/Rich - I went to London at the weekend and have a photo which I think would be good for the entry on Piccadilly Circus (A281602). Thing is, it's not obscure enough to be a fast track.

What's the procedure for opening it up to people to submit any they might have?


Attention Photographers!

Post 18

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

We could maybe just add the topic to the next regular round of submissions?


Attention Photographers!

Post 19

Elentari

However you want to do it is fine by me!


Attention Photographers!

Post 20

Skankyrich [?]

The simple answer is: add it to the database. We'll then call it for submissions at some point in the future.

Of course, this is far from ideal; we're going to have some subjects that would suit a monthly round, but owing to the large number of Entries in the database they may not get called for a while.

So if you already have a photo for a subject in the db, now is the time to mention it. We can call it for submissions in the next monthly round and try to speed it through that way. I don't think there's any reason to let good photos sit unapplied because of procedures.

The current system will creak a little bit at times like this. With 100 Entries waiting to be announced, it could be seven or eight months before we announced Piccadilly Circus in the normal course of events, so I'd encourage anyone who has photos for 'blank' Entries to let us know so we can prioritise those rather than ask people to set up still-life shots of potatoes. In the long-term, we may be able to come up with a better system, but for now I'm keen to just get the current system working as best we can.


Key: Complain about this post