A Conversation for h2g2 Smileys

Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 81

I'm not really here

You can find one to talk to if you like, but I can guess that the answer will still be no.


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 82

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I don't know where to look. But how can they say no to a Hitchhiker smiley?

smiley - boing


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 83

I'm not really here

smiley - sigh Because it belongs to someone else. I expect it would have to be paid for - if not paid for every time it's used. Which would mean every time it's used, it would have to be counted. The BBC has to consider whether that is a good use of licence-fee payers money, when we can get unique, custom-made smileys for nothing more than the goodwill of the artists, who are doing it because they love h2g2.


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 84

Baron Grim

Lots of assumptions, lots of expectations, but again... no one has bothered to ask.


smiley - vampire Count Zero, "Where's my other head? I'm getting tired of banging this one against the wall."


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 85

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

still wanna green guy smiley.

see My Space for links to radio show and RPG.
smiley - towelNerd42


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 86

SEF

U187164smiley - biggrin


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 87

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - ok is the smiley for sticking your thumb out. I wanna !


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 88

Baron Grim

Truthfully take the eyes away and make smiley - ok green and that would be close enough for me. I don't believe the Green guy ever stuck his thumb out, just his tongue. Ooh, we could call it for green ok and the Heinlein fans would grok it.


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 89

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Mina, how many times do I have to tell you, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE GREENY! I said "Hitchhiker Smiley", not "Green Guy Smiley", "Hitchhiker Smiley". The Hitchhiker Smiley doesn't have to have ANYTHING to do with Greeny. It would just be cool if we could have Greeny.

smiley - boing


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 90

egon

smiley - towel and smiley - dontpanic are both hitchhiker-based smilies.

And I msust say that despite owning all the books, radio series, audio books, DVD, etc, I don't associate the "green guy" with hitchhikers, as I don't have the game, and he only featured on book and other covers in selected countiries. He isn't automaticaly associated with the books by a great deal of his fans, or of the people on this site.


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 91

Baron Grim

Mr. X, I think Mina was probably talking to me. I DO want the green guy, but I've just about lost the will to live after banging my head against this wall for so long. I'll make my points this one last time:

1 I'm not begging for this smiley, I know there are not plans for new smilies at the moment. I was just suprised to find that there wasn't one.

2 I don't expect h2g2 to pay for the use of the 'green guy' logo. I just thought it would be a good idea to ask Random House about it. Considering the use we're talking about, a very small low res depiction for a website directly related to the works of Douglas Adams, I don't think it beyond belief that Random House might grant free usage to us. If they won't, hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

3 I know that not everyone associates the green orb with HHGTTG but many of us DO. I have seen it used, probably with no copyright, on other sites, some of which are of less than proper reputation. I think it would be nice to retake the association of this icon. (if feasible).


Now I've been told several times reasons why h2g2 can't or won't adopt this smiley, but most of those reasons were assumptions and suppositions. So, I'm now going to make this assumption: No one *want's* to make the effort of writing a sincere letter to Random House inquiring about the use of this icon. Hey, that's fine. I can understand that. I just don't like being given excuses that I know may not be true.

So, if I never get to see a smiling eyeless green orb smiley on this website, I won't be surprised or upset. I just thought it would be nice.



smiley - vampire Count Zero, going off to bandage his bruised head.


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 92

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

Right on count zero!

*mutters, "that's funny, usually I hate vampires"*
smiley - towelNerd42


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 93

Baron Grim

Not really vampirey... it's just there's no smiley - geek in a cape smiley. smiley - ok


smiley - vampire+smiley - geek+smiley - scientist+smiley - coolCount Zero smiley - run


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 94

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

smiley - erm CZ, why don't YOU write to Random House, and ask the Question, if they say, yes, but we need someone from the site to do it then get one of the italics to write. If they say no way, then you've already got your answer...

I suspect that even if they say yes, the Beeb won't allow it, as it could be seen as advertising for RH....

OH, BTW what's wrong with smiley - monster or smiley - hangover<?> as GreenGuy replacements...


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 95

Baron Grim

Hmmm... "Dear Random House, This web site I go to really wants permission to use the green hitchhiker icon... well, I'm not sure they really want it or that they'll make it even if they get permission, but I'd like you to give permission to a web site I visit. No I'm not an agent of that web site so this is just a inquisitive letter."

Hmmm.. I can hear a reply along the lines of "Your local planning office is only four light years away, if your [website] can't be bothered to keep up with local affairs [on their own behalf], that's their own lookout...."


I'll think about it.

Count Zero


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 96

Orion >> Chief Calculator of Temperol Dynamics >> moon moaner

I agree we need to get the admin to write to Randon house, they are not going to pay any attention to us.
orion


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 97

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

*Mr. X, I think Mina was probably talking to me. I DO want the green guy*

No. I was talking to Mina, and I'm starting to get really sick of people misunderstanding my posts. Look, here's the thing...

*Rubs eyes in frustration and exhaustion*

I want Greeny too. (See look, can't possibly get another meaning out of that.) But the thing is that Orion's right; Randon house isn't going to listen to a bunch of geeks who use the internet too much. So if we can't get Italics to ask them for it (and even if we can), we still need a Hitchhiker Smiley. Which, by the way, can be TOTALLY different from Greeny. Besides, just because the Smiley Wish List is closed, it doesn't mean they won't make one. Evilgrin smiley - evilgrin was invented after the list was closed too.

*Looks for wall Count Zero has been banging his head against* smiley - boing


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 98

Baron Grim

smiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boing

::looks up for a moment:::
"Oh, sorry 'bout that, Mr. X"


smiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boing


smiley - towelCount Zero


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 99

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

smiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampire

Apology accepted. smiley - winkeye

smiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampiresmiley - vampire

smiley - boing


Hitchhiker Green Guy Smiley

Post 100

HAIKEEBA!

It may not mean the same thing to everybody, but it does mean quite a bit to some people. Especially those of us here in America who were getting into the Guide at the time that the smiley was on the book covers and such. To people like me it doesn't just represent the books but is an at-a-glance reminder that the universe is simply not to be taken too seriously and we can all cope with it. Heck, I even have it tattooed on my right forearm so it sticks its tongue out at people when I shake hands with them. So yeah, it would be nice to see here.
I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
:P


Key: Complain about this post