A Conversation for Don't Panic

New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 1

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

I heard a rumour That the inestimable Mr. Adams was writing a new book - for publication before the beginning of the Fools Millennium (Starts 1/1/2000 ends 31/12/2000, real Millenium starting on 1/1/2001 as we all know).

I chased it up... and then I chased it down again... First sighting was in WHSmith in Solihull - publication date 16/11/1999!! Wow, thought I, but being in a bit of a hurry, and not living in Solihull, didn't order it.

Was in WHSMith at Victoria the other day, asked when it was coming out and title - was told ""...not coming out 'til next year - don't know title, busy go 'way..." (more or less). Today thought I'd do some proper research into it so started searching Internet - found this most excellent place and signed up. No info about new book though smiley - sadface.

Went to Amazon.com, Waterstone's online, WHSmith online.... None had a section for upcoming releases, can't find ANYWHERE on the web for upcoming releases - weird. Had to go, in PERSON no less, to Waterstone's off of Picadilly - very helpful people - they looked it up, and sure 'nuff there was a title due for release by 31st Dec '99. Called : UNTITLED! Erm.... Waterstone's looked again and said it had been cancelled!!!!!!!!!! They called up publisher (Jonathan Cape) and were told - Douglas Adams had signed to do a book but wasn't going to deliver.

Is this the End.... or will we see another volume of the Trilogy that makes a nonsense of mere numbers? I NEED TO KNOW!


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 2

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Well here I am replying to my own message - how sad is that! Just found out what DA has been doing recently - writing a screenplay for a disney version of H2G2. Also picked up on an article he wrote for the Independant on Sunday about the Millenium and pedants (oh and the "DO-Re-Mi" song - see my entry).
I agree that 2000 is just a number - and a damn good excuse for a Party, and it doesn't really matter about the millenium, etc... - But now that we know we're going to party like crazy on 31/12/1999 (except for us poor Computer Bods that is - having to make sure world doesn't end, etc...) I'm looking forwards to partying even harder NEXT year - when we don't have to worry about bugs and the like!


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 3

The Fish Killer

There's going to be a Disney movie of H2G2?????? Cooel!
What info do you have about it man? Mail it to me. Is it like going to be a cartoon or actual movie?
The man himself is keeping pretty much busy at the moment ain't he?


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 4

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

What I've heard is that it will be live action, despite Disney's backing of it. They DO do live action films... Anyway I've heard that this is most definately what has been taking up all of DNA's time, and that it will be released... well, I'd heard when it would be released, but I've not retained the information. sorry.


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 5

The Fish Killer

Will there be any FISH in the story???????????


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 6

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Indubitably old boy. Blue Whales, Petunia's and Mice I shouldn't wonder as well.


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 7

The Fish Killer

I always thought they could write me into the story....starring THE FISH KILLER! Watcha think?


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 8

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Have you got some sort of Phobia about Fish?
Perhaps its the result of an unfortunate Babel-fish related incident
Would you like to talk about it - I am a qualified Pyschologist...


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 9

The Fish Killer

Yes please! It all started when I was five years old and my father dropped me upside down into a fish tank......


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 10

Peta


There is certainly going to be a Disney HHGG movie. Douglas is in California writing the screenplay at the moment. The Director of the movie is Jay Roach of Austin Powers fame. It should be really good! smiley - smiley

Can't wait to see it! DNA is heavily involved in the project - which is good, so there may not be a new book for a while. He does intend to write more in the future.

- Peta


New Book? (PLEASE!)

Post 11

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Hmmmm.... Shall I post just to revive a VERY old thread?

Shall I, huh,huh, Shall I....

Actually this thread has kind of brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye! Just the thought of HIS last book being published posthumously... with the very same title as I was complaining about earlier in the thread.... If I'd have known he would have to die before it came out I'd never have asked.....


Key: Complain about this post