A Conversation for Don't Panic

The Angus Prune Tune

Post 1

La Tosca

Can any of you British comedy afficianados out there offer any information about the radio show, "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again"? I owned a record album once with several of the shows on it and found it to be loads of fun. A very young John Cleese, my hero, was one of the stars along with Tim Brooke-Taylor, Bill Oddie and Graeme Greene. I no longer have the record but I retain fond memories of this hilarious with a theme song entitled the "Angus Prune Tune". Help out here, people.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 2

Peta

I can't help but do a search for Researcher Ant (Sutton) he works for a company that has that kind of info. Maybe also post this in ask h2g2. That produces good results usually. Good luck, tell me if you find out smiley - smiley


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 3

The Other Marvin

I have a number of ISIRTA shows on tape that I could, if it wasn't for the laws of copyright, share with you in some form or other.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 4

Captain Slogg

Back in the late sixties while serving in H.M. Forces in the Persian Gulf we would tune in to the world service of the B.B.C. once a week for half a hour of sanity with ISIRTA with John “Otto” Cleese, Tim “Eat a rhubarb tart a day.” Brooke-Taylor,(Now there's a catch-phrase that mercifully never caught on.) Bill Oddie and Graeme Garden. (I think Greene wrote Brighton pier). I wonder why I can't recall the name of the Lady who was in the show or for that matter why nobody seems to able to remember Lady who was a member of the Python team, but they all remember Mrs Cut-out.
Regrettably I loaned my valued copy of the record to “Mystical Merv” who returned it full of the same type of darkly suspicious pin-hole burns that were down the front of his tie die tee-shirt. If you do find source I’d love to hear from you as I need to replace my own copy and, once more before I die, "Sit in my bath and 'ave a good laugh." Good luck .Mick.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 5

Doctor John (Patron Saint and Village Physician)

Surely, it was John Otto and his performing Cleese.
BTW Lady Constance woke up Grimbling (grimble, grimble, grimble)


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 6

Davros

Jo Kendall was the female member of the team. A number of 'I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again' cassettes are available in the BBC Radio Collection.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 7

Eeyore

More info on I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again (ISIRTA) ~ grin ~ Mental Micky is right about the male members of the cast. The female voices were done not only by Jo Kendall but also by Tim Brooke-Taylor, and David Hatch did the straight announcer voice. They were broadcast between 1964 and 1968. And writers included Clive James (ex Observer TV columnist and now TV presenter) and John Esmonde and Bob Larbey (of The Good Life and Ever-decreasing Circles fame).

As far as I know, Carol Cleveland and the wonderfully talented Connie Booth (aka Mrs John Cleese, the woman in the Lumberjack sketch and co-writer of Fawlty Towers) did the female roles in Monty Python.

Incidentally I, too, was once a proud owner of an ISIRTA LP during the early Seventies in Newcastle. I rather foolishly lent it to a Welshman (whose name escapes me but he had a beard) in return for three Jethro Tull albums. I think it’s about time he gave it back. So if you’re out there, you know who you are . . . your Jethro Tull albums are still in pristine condition, having never been played.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 8

Sumogirl

I have a couple of episodes on tape. (Copied from an LP that was in our local library (in USA). I would love to have a larger collection. I think I shall peruse the BBC radio shop to see if they are available.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 9

yer luvin' uncle den

I have some shows if anyone wants copies, including the material from the 2 commercially released LPs (BBC & EMI). Python, Cook & Moore, Goons. Also Danish & Scandinavian mags, see everything.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 10

plaguesville

Everything?

D'you do smoking materials Uncle Den?
smiley - bigeyes


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 11

plaguesville

Ah, Yes.
"The incredibly tall John ..." he of the nasally situated ferret residence.
The way I remember it is that Graham Greene SAT on or under Brighton Pier while he wrote or ate Brighton Rock.
But hey, a lot of ships have hit a lot of piers since then and what with termites with fag ends and csrelessly discarded matches ...
Hey - ho.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 12

Abi

I think that there are about four sets of audio tapes now - teh second collection has the reunion episode they did in the nineties and the Ferret song!

The best place to get them is the shop at Bush house but I know the Beeb do mail order. smiley - winkeye


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 13

Captain Slogg

Ah yes, plaguesville dude you are correctly referring to the author Graham (Henry) Greene who did indeed write Brighton Rock in 1938. but I was of course referring to Graeme Colin Greene Painter, decorator and part time sign-writer of Hove who wrote those wonderful signs 'Welcome to Brighton pier admission two shillings and six pence back in 1956.


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 14

plaguesville

Fancy that!
You remember my cousin Grae!
Did he ever tell you about the looks of suprise he got when he signed autographs with his five inch distemper brush?
What a joker.
smiley - bigeyes


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 15

Captain Slogg

Oh yes I remember Grae well, I’m sure those autograph hunters valued highly the signature of genius who created such great works as: A Mastic Gun for Sale, Travels with My Paint and The Third man (Who we always charged for but who never showed up on the job) although sad to relate, his autographs did tend to peel and flake off after a few months. smiley - smiley


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 16

yer luvin' uncle den

no, not really, but the regular passengers at the back of a number 12, 13 or 60 bus in Liverpool could be a good source for you


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 17

plaguesville

Thanks, Nunkie,
You certainly get in some interesting places.
Now, where's my bus pass and outdoor shoes, Nurse?
smiley - winkeye


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 18

Researcher 215440

ISIRTA is part of the new BBC7 offering by the way, availale via UK Digital TV/Radio and over the Net. I think it is on Fridays


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 19

Researcher 215440

ISIRTA is part of the new BBC7 offering by the way, availale via UK Digital TV/Radio and over the Net. I think it is on Fridays


The Angus Prune Tune

Post 20

plaguesville

Hey, 215440,
Thanks for that.

But ... are you emphasising that it's in stereo, or that they are repeats?
smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post