A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Not the game

Post 21

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Which college were you at, Master B? I'm at Pembroke studying philosophy and maths!

EE, I'd definitely recommend applying to Oxford, as long as you don't mind working fairly hard you'll have a great time! If there's anything you'd particularly like to know about it I'll try my best to fill you in. What subject are you thinking of studying?

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 22

Mu Beta

I was (briefly) at Catz studying Metallurgy. My three notable achievements in my first year were:

1) Taking part in 10 student productions in Hillary and Trinity terms.
2) Managing to drink (invited) in all 31 college bars within the year.
3) Failing my Prelims so spectacularly that I didn't re-sit and went to Birmingham instead.

B


Not the game

Post 23

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Sounds as though you certainly made the most of your time at Oxford! I don't know who it was, but someone once said that those who enjoy Oxford to its full potential either end up with a first or a third. I did my mods at the end of trinity and am very proud of my third! My boyfriend (a heterosexual relationship just in case you're wondering, I just happen to be a girl named Tim!) worked incredibly hard on his Arabic degree all year but still failed one of his prelims and has to retake it before he goes for his year out in Syria. If I'd been doing prelims instead of mods I'd be retaking too, its such an unfair system!

Which college bar did you like best? Pembroke's one is horrible!

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 24

TBC

What sort of things are on the Philosophy course? I'm soon to be applying (to Oxford among others) for Philosophy, but the prospectus doesn't go into too much detail smiley - sadface

~Skenvoy


Not the game

Post 25

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

It depends largely on which philosophy course you're applying to. All the courses include basic logic and Descartes in the first year. Most, except the ones that go with maths and physics also in the 1st year contain a section on Mill who's a bit of a silly old sod. Maths and philosophy has sections on advanced logic (BORING!) and philosophy of maths (interesting in parts, but rather pointless). Physics and Philosophy has a philosophy of science course which is really quite fascinating if you're a bit of a boffin! Any idea which college you'd apply for?

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 26

TBC

I'd probbaly apply for straight philosophy rather than a combination. As to which college there are a few that interest me; New College, Oriel, St Edmund Hall. Having said that when I looked through the prospectus I was looking for Psychology courses (which is what I was considering at the time) so I'd have to check they all offer Philosophy and also look through the ones I skipped

~Skenvoy


Not the game

Post 27

Existential Elevator

This is like, completely surreal, I really want to study philosophy too.. I'm nto sure what to do it with, I was thinking either theology or classics... It'll be a few years before I apply though [so young, so young...]... I've been looking at Balliol College, but of course I don't have a clue about how to choose a college or anything, don't want to run before I can walk...

You really think it's well worth it?


Not the game

Post 28

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Of course it's worth it - my first year's been fantastic! Oxford is like a complete other world, living in college is a bit like going to a boarding school but with a bar and not many rules. I absolutely love all the traditions but there are some students who merely tolerate them. Things like wearing gowns to dinner and making sure you have the right colour carnation in your buttonhole for each exam, and of course playing The Game! Being quite an old-fashioned person I enjoy punting and croquet and sipping my gin and tonic at the Union, but there's something for everyone in the city!

Unfortunately Oxford doesn't offer philosophy on its own, but C******** does! Their course doesn't have as many options as ours. I'd recommend studying philosophy with either psychology or classics, I would've done classics if I'd realised how nasty the maths is!

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 29

Mu Beta

EE - choosing a college is largely random unless you've got a couple of days (don't go at a weekend!) to pop down to Oxford and see which ones you fancy. See if you can get one with a good bar (I recommend Catz aka St Catherines, New, Univ and Trinity) and good rooms (older colleges can get draughty). If you don't want the hassle of looking for digs, about half the colleges now put students up for all three years.

The old-fashioned college stereotypes are largely defunct now, but if you're extremely left-wing you want Wadham, and if you incline the other way you'd probably want to give Christchurch a look.

B


Not the game

Post 30

Existential Elevator

smiley - ta very much you guys! Most helpful!

Yes, I remember looking at the C******* website to check out the course they offered there and it didn't look as good to me. I quite like the idea of studying philosophy *with* something smiley - smiley

smiley - coolsmiley - ok I had a look through the college websites but they didn't seem terribly helpful smiley - smiley If you don't mind [and you're still around smiley - winkeye] could I possibly ask your opinion on the closer to the time? I need to do my As first smiley - laugh


Not the game

Post 31

TBC

might have to look at C******** then... smiley - yikes you'll probs all kill me for that

~Skenvoy


Not the game

Post 32

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Lol... as the old Pembroke song goes, "I would rather go to C******** than to Christ Church!" I don't really think there's much to choose between the colleges these days, I only chose Pembroke because I'd been there on an open day and had a very splendid time! Its one of the smaller and friendlier colleges but is poorer than a lot of the others. The only main difference between rich colleges and poor ones is the amount of rent they charge - the poor ones can be very expensive!

The main thing that put me off C******** on their open day was their prejudice against public school students. They seem to have taken the idea of equality a bit too far and tipped the balance too much in the anti-toff direction - I can't help the fact that my parents paid for my education!

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 33

Existential Elevator

smiley - laugh
My problem being that I know I won't really be able to afford a poorer college... Although a smaller one I'd bet would be well worth the expense. smiley - smiley

It's odd that you should say that about the sea-bridge, because when I was looking on the Guardian website it gave Oxford a better mark for inclusion smiley - weird
Admittedly being from a working class family does worry me a little on the subject of Qxbridge, but not because of the institute's attitude but because of my fellow students' attitudes... Although I won't know 'till I'm there kinda thing, but I'll always be a little worried of not quite fitting in smiley - erm I've got no problem with "toffs" meself, as long as they're not above their station in life smiley - winkeyesmiley - run


Not the game

Post 34

Mu Beta

Now, everyone and their dog will tell you that there is no longer any class snobbery at Oxford, but this is of course rubbish.

I had a lot of problems being Northern and working-class at Oxford, and only found one small group of friends who I felt really comfortable with. Make of that what you will.

B


Not the game

Post 35

Baron Grim

This is all quite interesting. I
Hope I'm not interupting
Everything.

Geography has placed me way to far
Away from these Universities you
Mention. Seeing as I live in Texas, I was
Educated locally. Oh, well. smiley - evilgrin


Not the game

Post 36

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Hello there Count, do pull up a chair, help yourself to tea and a crumpet and make yourself comfortable!

On the subject of class discrimination at Oxford, if there is any at Pembroke then it's barely noticable. There are more cliques of rich girls with designer handbags and rude manners than I expected, which I just can't get on with even though I'm public school myself. My friends come from all sorts of different backgrounds and seeing as we all live in similar accomodation and are all of around the same level of intelligence, we hardly even seem to notice! Still, I've always been in eclectic groups of friends and probably if I was in the... erm... how can I put this... overly image conscious and trendy public school type group, it'd be an entirely different matter!

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 37

Existential Elevator

I've just been told that I have a posh accent. Erm. That was news to me. smiley - yikes

I guess it depends on the luck of the draw.. To be honest I'd be happier with a select few than the world and his/her life partner. It just mean I'll have to put up with annoying cliques wherever I go *sigh*
I don't suppose you get many goth type people at Oxford? smiley - huhsmiley - winkeye


Not the game

Post 38

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

One of the more "mainstream" people than myself once told me that his clique had decided during a drunken party that I have the poshest female accent, and my boyfriend has the poshest male accent in the whole college! I was somewhat smiley - huh!

That's odd, I've just been looking at some pics I've been sent of my friends and myself at the last goth party we went to. There are actually a lot less goths at Oxford than I expected, although my group of friends are basically the kind of assortment of people that the others see as the eccentric ones! I personally am the kind of person who's into anything a bit obscure and anti-fashionable, and I think if anything I've made closer friends that the cliquey people. I was a bit worried about making friends to start with, partly because I'm the kind of girl who gets on a lot better with boys than girls. Those who usually put on a facade of being one of the cool kids tend to have difficulty when they get to uni.

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Not the game

Post 39

Existential Elevator

smiley - weird

Wow, that synopsis sounds a lot like how I would describe myself.

Funny old world, huh?


Not the game

Post 40

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Cool - well, then I'm sure you'll get on great at Oxford! Have you read the latest prospectus at all? This thread seems to be slightly dead... I haven't been online in ages having just moved back up to Oxford because nothing in my house works. The joys of student existence!

smiley - towel TF-P smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post