A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17761

Cheerful Dragon

I thought I was bad! The cardigan that's awaiting completion is one that I started more than twenty years ago. The project stalled because I didn't have enough wool to finish it. The wool comes from Orkney and there was no Internet shopping at the time. I was close to finishing it before Christmas, then I tried it on Hubby. He's put on so much weight in the last twenty years that the cardigan won't fit, so I've had to start again. The sleeves are the only things that don't need much alteration.

One project I've started that I didn't mention is a crocheted triceratops. I've only done the start of the body, so I've put it on hold while I work on finishing some of the other things. In terms of different yarns, I've used up four of the six balls I had for the granny square blanket. Unfortunately the last two balls are large ones, so I'm not quite two thirds of the way through. It's going well, though. It's what I do while watching TV because it doesn't require much concentration.


Petty Hates

Post 17762

Teasswill

Oh, I've got a part finished cardi from some 20 - 30 years ago too. I think I gave up because the season changed, became cheaper & quicker to buy a ready made garment. Also I realised the colour didn't suit me that well...

I did pick it up again a while back but I suspect it will never get finished. The wool has come in useful to make pom poms though!


Petty Hates

Post 17763

Cheerful Dragon

Today's PH is having a headache and being too weak and uncoordinated to do any crochet. I couldn't even do one treble, never mind the amount needed to finish my granny square blanket.


Petty Hates

Post 17764

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

The mosquito that has been circling my head for the past hour, that has so far survived being crushed between my hands..


Petty Hates

Post 17765

SashaQ - happysad

Reducing the number of items in a pack so as to keep the price the same.

I bought something that the portion size is 4 - they used to be sold in 12s, so that was perfect, but this week I discovered there are only 10 in the pack now...


Petty Hates

Post 17766

Baron Grim

Candy bar sizes are notorious for fluctuating between price changes.


Petty Hates

Post 17767

Bald Bloke

Shrinkflation strikes again.
[BB]


Petty Hates

Post 17768

Teasswill

The chocolate ration has been raised... (1984)

My PH today is people who persist in putting items in the wrong category refuse bin despite having been told umpteen times.


Petty Hates

Post 17769

Teasswill

I'm not sure if it's really a PH: foods that look awful but taste good.
I've just made some mushroom soup - looks like slurry but smells good (so hopefully will taste good too). The other evening I made a red lentil dish that looked like vomit, but great flavour.


Petty Hates

Post 17770

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laugh Yes! Scouse is one - I wrote about it for h2g2 A87869371 but used a picture of the raw ingredients because the finished product would have been offputting smiley - laugh


Petty Hates

Post 17771

Teasswill

Looking through the TV schedule for the week ahead. Today's PH is being old enough to have seen so many 'classic' films & programmes, often 2 or 3 times already, that I don't really want to see them yet again. Fortunately there are still enough new (or seen once) programmes plus our own stock of watchable DVDs to keep us entertained.


Petty Hates

Post 17772

Cheerful Dragon

Yet again my Petty Hate is being restless and unable to settle down to anything. I finished the granny square blanket a while ago, but can't settle to any of my other ongoing projects. So I'm about to start something new, a crocheted creature derived from a book called Edward's Imaginarium. The head and body are standard, but you have a range of head ornament, hand, foot and tail variants to choose from. Right now I have no idea what it's going to look like!


Petty Hates

Post 17773

Teasswill

Sometimes having too many options is harder than only a few. I have a long list & often scan through without feeling inspired. I really need deadlines to get focused!


Petty Hates

Post 17774

Reality Manipulator

My PH is being cold in warm weather as I live a very cold flat.


Petty Hates

Post 17775

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I can relate to that one.

Working from home right now. The only quiet spot left is the coldest place in the house. (North side corner with two outside walls, ground floor while the thermostat of the central heating is in the Sunny middle floor) Outside, 20+ degrees C, inside probably below 15.


Petty Hates

Post 17776

Cheerful Dragon

Teaswill, I did have a deadline for one of my projects - August Bank Holiday weekend. The Covid-19 lockdown has put all events on hold for now, so I don't know whether I'll need the item(s). It's hard to be motivated when things are in limbo.


Petty Hates

Post 17777

Teasswill

I have some similar unknowns -even the Autumn is looking uncertain. Most of my usual activities would be impractical with social distancing, it's a bit depressing wondering when any of them might be possible again.


Petty Hates

Post 17778

Cheerful Dragon

My Petty Hate is companies that change the recipe for a product that I enjoy, or discontinue it completely. A key offender is Kraft. They changed the recipe for Sweet Chilli Philadelphia cream cheese and dropped two other flavours that I like. The worst, though, is changing the recipe for Bournville dark chocolate. It used to be slightly bitter and not too sweet. In fact, it was my favourite dark chocolate. Now it's too sweet for my taste and it's lost the slight bitterness. If that's what Kraft have done to Cadbury's dark chocolate I dread to think what Dairy Milk tastes like these days.


Petty Hates

Post 17779

SashaQ - happysad

Oh yes, the dreaded words 'New Improved Recipe'...

I had a dialogue with a company about a delicious lunchtime snack I used to enjoy - they changed the recipe because their original supplier stopped working with them, so they engaged a new supplier who had to guess the quantities of each ingredient and added too much sugar for my taste (given that it was a savoury snack)... They discontinued the product a couple of months later, so I mustn't have been the only one who wasn't keen...


Petty Hates

Post 17780

Bald Bloke

Kraft have cocked up all the cadbury range.
I now look for either Sainsbury's own lable or Co-p own lable when I want dark chocolate, both of which taste far better than the current version of Bournville


Key: Complain about this post