A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What to do?

Post 61

KB

I have the Albigensian-B30. The shaft seems to shake a bit when it reaches 120 degrees.


What to do?

Post 62

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Each to their own I guess...

Well, the 3/8 sprunge throcket has been fitted, the Mk. IV adaptor and the '68 "Zinger" gasket are (so far) doing a good job of keeping it on... now to see if it works...

*Flicks the power switch and starts pumping the trussock lever*

Listen to that, purring like a kitten who's just found out that his new owners have an infestation of mice.


What to do?

Post 63

Gnomon - time to move on

I didn't know there were any of the old Albigensians left, Bomba. People seemed to turn against them a while back and there was a sort of Crusade to get them off the streets. But I suppose you might still find a few lurking in basements.


What to do?

Post 64

KB

There are one or two left, but they aren't very fashionable. They can still be quite effective, but I have to keep mine indoors with the lid off.


What to do?

Post 65

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Is the story about Albigensians being dangerous to long-haired cats true?


What to do?

Post 66

Teasswill

Note to Trillian's Child - no need to become a southpaw, just reverse the crank settings & you can use it right handed.


What to do?

Post 67

IctoanAWEWawi

yeah, but if you do that careful of where drain spigot is pointing! smiley - yikes

Well, I had a rather fruitless weekend searching the various car boot sales for a B30, thought I might be in luck after S-B's post, but seems you were just lucky to get yours!

Although I did pick up an adaptor kit that apparently lets you convert the main input to steam power. That could be an interesting project I thought.


What to do?

Post 68

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Oh lordy... it's a bit rusty, and the topside flange is broken but I managed to pick up one of the rare Russian-made 'copies' of the 1959 Albert & Virginia AV-32!


What to do?

Post 69

Icy North

Icky, have you tried the Ministry of Defence Disposal Agency?

www.edisposals.com

Ships, aircraft, the lot here.

Unfortunately they tend to decommission the weapons systems before they sell them, so you might be lucky to track down a B30.

Now I know a man at Marconi who might be able to do you a flagdown (cash only, of course).


What to do?

Post 70

IctoanAWEWawi

oooh, do tell if you get the AV-32 going, that'd be a treat to see! I remember seeing one of them when I was a kid in some military museum somewhere. Sorry state it was in too, but they certainly came into their own in the cold war!


What to do?

Post 71

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

My flange fell off today smiley - sadface and the toolkit didn't seem much help, do you recon I could do it with gaffer tape?


What to do?

Post 72

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

You could, but if you took it to any meets or rallies you'd be a laughing stock.


What to do?

Post 73

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

You could fix it with a couple of cable ties - you can fix most things with a couple of cable ties.


What to do?

Post 74

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Except for the things that can be fixed with string.


What to do?

Post 75

IctoanAWEWawi

Mine's ran happily for years with a couple of laggy bands holding the regulator cover on. No probs.


What to do?

Post 76

Icy North

Didn't that chafe the governor?


What to do?

Post 77

swl

Wouldn't he be cross?


What to do?

Post 78

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I finally found a new flange to replace the one that fell off, and now the sprocket lever won't always flip back... I've resorted to gaffer tape and just swearing at it a lot...


What to do?

Post 79

IctoanAWEWawi

Really? where'dya get the flange from?
Oh, and before you replace the sprocket you have unsleave the spline shaft and feed through the regulator control cable *then* reverse the retaining spring and finally secure the sprocket. Has to be done in that order or you'll find it goes 'SPOING' at exactly 15,253 revs.

I traded mine in for a '71 all electric model. Bakelite-tastic man!
Not the same though so I may have to go looking for an original '66 again.


What to do?

Post 80

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I was lucky with the Flange, I bought a box of assorted sprocket posts, and the flange was just lurking in the bottom, of course most of the sprocket posts were no good as they weren't even Imperial measurements...
I rememberd to unsleave the spline shaft, as luck would have it, but It was heck of a job to get the regulator cable through; It only just reached; I'm sure its a previous botched repair job, and that the regulator cable tightener is off of a differnt model that someone's just adaptoed roughly to fit... and it won't let enough of the regulator cable through...

The sprocket is definately good an dtight, but I think the sprocket lever is a bit loose, can't tighten the bolt, as I think thats threaded too... Of course, its not the normal botl on this model, its reverse threaded with a X-splaide end, from where it connects back on to itself... its a bugger to find anythign to fit it from my normal toolbox, but luckily I've the origional tool kit it came with, which does seem to fit...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more