A Conversation for Atheism

Martyrs

Post 1

Alex Watson [Zaphodista]

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an atheist martyr?

Or not, as the case may be.


Martyrs

Post 2

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

Ther are lots of them, take the inqusition for example, they killed anything that wanst athlic athests inclooded


Martyrs

Post 3

Alex Watson [Zaphodista]

Yes, but the definition of a martyr is someone who dies for their faith, and an atheist by definition does not believe in any god, so the phrase is contradictory.


Martyrs

Post 4

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

Not really, the athest has the balefe that thre is no such thing as a god, there for they have faith that there is no such thing as a god


Martyrs

Post 5

Alex Watson [Zaphodista]

I'd always thought that was quite funny... Atheism is rather like a religion in that sense...


Martyrs

Post 6

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

i supose so...sorta kinda i guess


Martyrs

Post 7

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

How about:
G. Bruno?

By the way, an atheist doesn't necesarrily *believe there* isn't a god.

Some of them, myself included, just feel that it should be assumed there isn't unless we have proof or very good evidence there is.

Also, you might be intereseted in A1022103


Martyrs

Post 8

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

we dont "believe" that theres no god, we "do not believe" that theres a god.


Martyrs

Post 9

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I agree.


Martyrs

Post 10

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

and since martyrs are tied to the idea of faith, and atheism is lack thereof...


Martyrs

Post 11

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I agree, if the statement "martyrs are tied to the idea of faith" is true. I'm not surte about that. I'm going to have to look up the word martyr.


Martyrs

Post 12

Random person

Atheist martyrs seem unlikely, since atheists (including myself) do not believe in an afterlife, so are likely to just put on a public show of being a devout Catholic or whatever, whilst quietly thinking what a load of nonsense it is, rather than die. Especially since there is no atheist God to take offence at the person pretending to 'renounce their faith' (or whatever phrase is the atheist equivalent thereof).

All this becomes untrue of course if the religion in question demands that its followers do something immoral, rather than just irrational and arbitrary.


Martyrs

Post 13

friendly_stranger

Drawing the conclusion: A moral atheist is asked to either take on a religion that requires its followers to act unmorally or to die. In the possible case that the atheist prefers to die he appears to be a martyr. The question remains however, wether he is a martyr of atheism or simply a martyr of moral.


Key: Complain about this post