A Conversation for 42FM Debate Channel

The Show - Your calls answered here!

Post 141

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

"42FM needs integrity!"
No it doesn't. You saw what it said right on the front page right?
I quote: "H2G2Radio 42FM is not responsible for any dumb, stupid, ignorant, insane, or politically incorrect things you may hear."
smiley - towelNerd42


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 142

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - musicalnoteall right I'm back.
The number is 4-200-242-2442, the email address nerd42 at msn dot com.
Seems I've been getting rather careless talking about the war.
shouldn'ta listened to my co-worker Bob the Libitarian on his "this is the first time iraq has been conquered by a non-iraqui since" thing. smiley - sorry
Also sorry I missed the State of the Union address and thus are unable to comment on it. smiley - sorry this is the first one I've missed since Clinton's last one I think....
wait I mighta missed in 2000...
Anyway, people have been saying "ok, so truth exists, what do you think truth actually IS?"
I will now attempt to explain my view of the universe.
I won't begin by saying "Jesus Christ is the Way the Truth and the Light" though I do believe that.
First of all, I believe certain truths to be self-evident. As in "we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are CREATED EQUAL and are endowed by their CREATOR with certain inalienable Rights, and that among these Rights are Life, Liberty, and the PURSUIT of Happiness." from the Declaration of Independence.
Notice that when those words were written, you can't really argue that "Creator" didn't mean God, or that if you did the thing (or at least one of the things) that above all the Left deplores, mentioning God in public, to the man on the street in 1776, he would ask "Which God?"
smiley - towelNerd42


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 143

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

For a start there are religious people who are left-wing, centre and wherever else. Also, many left-wingers appreciate their right to say (more or less) what they like, and would even go so far as to extend it to god botherers.

Having said that, being preached to still annoys me (and I'm sure many religious people), mainly because its not particularly interesting being told the same thing over and over again, especially if it involves people insulting you "sinner" if you hold different views to them and saying you're going to burn in eternal torment. Thankfully that same right extends to allow people to say their piece back.

Is that the USA's constitution you're quoting from? Self-evident is unfortunately a difficult position from which to argue, because to other people these truths may not be self-evident.


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 144

badger party tony party green party

I agree bouncy,

Part of the problem is that what religious types like to preach isnt even thought out stuff its just the regurgetated nonsense of their religions elders who in turn got it from their elders who inturn rehashed it from what their elders said because they thougt changing the scripture or religion would work in their favour.

I just laugh when Im told by any religious type that Im a sinner because I dont know of a single one of 'em who doesnt like to sin. Honestly the times Ive seen Muslim guys taking a crafty swig of booze..., it just makes me laugh. The best was when I was talking to a British National Party support who said he was christian, we had a long and seemingly fruitless debate about the fallacy of "race". After exhausting my self telling him truths he just did not want to accept i changed tack. I asked him if he wanted to borrow a porn film from me i said i had this great one with bi-sexual leasbians and this black woman with a really big smiley - titsmiley - tit. Sure he said without even thinking, I asked him if it wasnt wrong for him to watch a film that contained homosexuality and "interacial" sex. Of course it was "wrong" but deep down he liked those things despite what he pretended to be.

Even Justin h2g2's self attested number one god-botherer is spouting all his chuff in the hope that he can make amens for the all the fun he's had sinning in the past. Its the old principal of if you cant be good make others look as bad and if you do something really bad make everyone else look worse.

Nerd still thinkl theres a bigG and he gave us the bible?
Genesis 3:14-24 (ESV)
The Lord God said to the serpent,
"Because you have done this,
cursed are you above all livestock
and above all beasts of the field;
on your belly you shall go,
and dust you shall eat
all the days of your life.
[15] I will put enmity between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and her offspring;
he shall bruise your head,
and you shall bruise his heel."

Hmm the words of the bigG or the thoughts of some middle eastern bloke.

Well you'd expect the bigG to remember he'd made some species of snake that can glide from tree to tree. Some 149 species amongst the boas and pyhtons that are'nt venomous and would therefore not bruise mans heels and some of the bigger ones well you wouldnt want to go bruising their heads. Then there are the ones that wouldn't eat dust all the days of their lives as some like the sea snake and krait are semi or entirely acquatic.How could an omniscient bigG forget he'd made them? How could an omnipresent god not sea (get it smiley - laugh) them swimming about in some cases and living arborially. How could an omnipotent god get the story of his creation across inaccurately?

Ofcourse it could have all been made up by men who live in the middle east and had no idea that there were other types of snakes in the tropics that make their little stories look rather silly.

Guess which idea my money is on?

smiley - rainbow




The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 145

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - ermOK, big eyeroll there. That was stupid.
First of all I only believe the Bible to be the word of God so far as it is translated correctly.
I was going to write a big long post explaining why that was stupid but I have no time right now. Later folks!
smiley - towelNerd42


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 146

badger party tony party green party

Well Nerd who exactly do we trust that it is translated and transcribed properly?

I was ridiculing the bible I was trying to be stupid to show just how stupid an idea believeing in ANY silly little book is, not just yours Nerd any of 'em. Im not saying you cant look to it for some wisdom, but one should never look to it exclusively or believe that its widom is superior to any other source.

smiley - rainbow


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 147

azahar

It seems that Nerd is just using this thread to attract attention and then does not bother to consider what other people post or attempt an intelligent reply.

Not interesting. Not interested.

*unsubscribes*

az


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 148

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Hi there young 42 smiley - biggrin

"Notice that when those words were written, you can't really argue that "Creator" didn't mean God, or that if you did the thing (or at least one of the things) that above all the Left deplores, mentioning God in public, to the man on the street in 1776, he would ask "Which God?" "

Of course it meant the Abrahamic God. However those people, in those streets, had no religious liberty whatsoever. To be a non-Christian in revolutionary America meant to accept either social anathematization or physical, and often brutal, discrimination.

How odd that they should bleat on about a religious freedom that they did not have and would not extend to other religions. There again they traced their ancestry to the Puritan founding fathers. As xenophobic and religiously intolerant a group as history has ever seen (read up on Cromwell and the British Puritans if you need to know more).

I just love doing history with you smiley - ok

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 149

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

"How odd that they should bleat on about a religious freedom that they did not have and would not extend to other religions."
Yes they would.
http://religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu/sacred/vaact.html
funny how online I'm debating as if I'm trying to sway crazy left wingers further right and offline I'm trying to sway crazy right wingers further left, and both towards the spirit of the Constatution.
smiley - towelNerd42


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 150

badger party tony party green party

Im no great scholar of American history Nerd, you sre in a better posotion than I to find out, but did the root and branch of the Americam justice system carry out the constitution in the way in which it was intended?

I know that your country is a feirce defender of religious freedoms and freedom of speech compared to some others, but this does not mens that they always were or even ALWAYS are.

Dig a little depper.smiley - ok

smiley - rainbow


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 151

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - musicalnoteThere's a man who lives a life of dangersmiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnoteTo every one he meets, he stands a strangersmiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnoteWith every move he makes, another risk he takessmiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnoteHe may never live to see tomorrowsmiley - musicalnote

smiley - musicalnoteSecret Agent Man, Secret Agent Mansmiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnoteThey're givin' you a number, and takin away your namesmiley - musicalnote

[As the music fades, a replay of part of the last call begins]
"I know that your country is a feirce defender of religious freedoms and freedom of speech compared to some others, but this does not mens that they always were or even ALWAYS are."
Don't care - they should be.
Seems we're going to be talking about the Patriot Act any second now.
I think for one thing the media (and I mean ALL the media including FOX and talk radio) has failed to educate me about what the Patriot Act actually DOES.
From the Left I hear "The Patriot Act is Bush wanting to be Big Brother. We're going to have midnight raids and dissapearances instead of trials!"
From the Right I hear "The Patriot Act allows the CIA and FBI to work together to fight terrorism - witthout this cooporation our national security may be seriously comprimised"
But what actually IS it, or where can I find the complete text?
smiley - towelNerd42


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 152

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

Well, I can answer that one at least...

http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html

In future, if in doubt, Google it.


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 153

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - dohshouldda just used google, you're right. that was as crazy as howard dean.


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 154

badger party tony party green party

Or as dunb as Bushsmiley - winkeye

smiley - rainbow


The Show - Thank [moderated] it's Friday!

Post 155

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

bush is not dumb.
diabolical maybe but not dumb.
clinton was not dumb.
a playboy perhaps but not dumb.
howard dean is dumb.


The Show - [Caller] Want to know what I think of your show?

Post 156

bunnyfrog will never die

[Caller] Uh, why? Simply just why?


The Show - [Caller] Want to know what I think of your show?

Post 157

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

smiley - sorry Terribly sorry that I've been gone so long everyone! i will get back to running this show after I get back from being gone for the summer. See My Space for details!
smiley - towelNerd42


The Show - [Caller] Want to know what I think of your show?

Post 158

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

well ... nobody's probably really interested in my show anymore ... all the other h2g2 Radio channels have been dead a long time or never really got started anyway ... I'm reminded of the end of the War of the Worlds radio play, "This may be the last broadcast," "Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone?" Perhaps at some future time somebody will start a new h2g2Radio station, one that they stick around to help administrate. Until then, if anybody wants to hear my take on pollyticks and fillosoppy (pubwick skrewl spelin') they can read my blog at "http://nerd42nation.blogspot.com/" l8er folks! Nerd42


Key: Complain about this post