A Conversation for Cinemas in Leeds, West Yorks, UK

Peer Review: A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 1

Stephen

Entry: Leeds Cinemas - A1311328
Author: Bob the Skutter - U92493

Decided to only include the major cinemas in Leeds as visitors are likely to goto these when out in town rather than the smaller 1-3 screen venues


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 2

Cyzaki

I think the title would be better off as something like 'Cinemas in Leeds, UK' as that is less ambiguous.

smiley - panda


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 3

Stephen

Changed to Leeds W.Yorks since theres also a Leeds in maidstone.

Thanks my fellow Hull Uni Mathematician


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 4

Number Six

It's a good start, Bob, but I'd like to see a little more detail there -the bits about restaurants and how to get there are good, but I found myself how many screens they have, what sort of films they show (just yer standard Hollywood blockbusters, or anything more interesting?) and most importantly a semblance of what they're actually like. Are they all soulless out-of-town multiplexes on a trading estate? Smart, scruffy, ancient or modern, or just average.

And if you would we willing to cover the smaller cinemas as well, as someone about to move to Leeds, I'd certainly be interested.

Cheers,
Number Six

smiley - mod


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 5

Stephen

Amended a bit as i know, unfortunately its been a long time since i went to Showcase and haven't been the odeon since it moved out of the centre of leeds. There are two smaller cinemas in north Leeds called the cottage and lounge, however again don't know enough about these to feel comfortable about putting in, also not sure about any others in Leeds


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

A reasonably informative entry.

I would put a footnote in to say that the prices are for 2003, as in say, two or three years time, the prices are likely to be out-of-date.

You will need to reword this bit:

I've never actually been to this cinema due to distance so can't comment on the style/feel of the cinema'

as entries aren't supposed to be written in the first person. You could just say, ' no comment is offered on the style/feel of the cinema' and that would probably cover it.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 7

Ormondroyd

Very interesting! As a fan of the sort of film that doesn't entirely revolve around gunshots, car chases, explosions or special effects, I'm surprised to see that there don't seem to be any arthouse cimemas in Leeds. Just as well that we have the National Museum of Photography, Film & Television in Bradford, where I live; it contains not one but two superb cinemas dedicated to non-blockbuster films.

The Lounge and Cottage Road (not just 'Cottage') cinemas have a shared website on http://www.lounge-cinema.co.uk/ . Perhaps you could take some info on those cinemas from there?


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 8

Number Six

This is coming along nicely, Bob - I must say, this is exactly the sort of entry I want to see getting into the Edited Guide: a useful one that tells you about a place and what it's like there. smiley - ok

I agree with Zarquon's Singing Fish about the prices and date references - the thing with entries once they've been accepted into the Edited Guide is that it's not that easy to update them, and in two years time, say, the prices will be quite inaccurate.

Maybe you could get around it just by doing a little comparison between the different cinemas - just whether they're cheaper or more expensive than average, or if they offer any good deals like the family tickets or discounts for students, OAPs or the Unemployed.

One other little thing - you seem to be pretty handy with html... I had a quick look at your code and spotted a couple of things that are outside standard GuideML as used in the Edited Guide - is there any chance you could take out the tags, and also change all the other tags to Upper Case? smiley - grovel If this is accepted into the Guide (and I can't see why not, with just a little more polishing) it would save the SubEditor a lot of time...

Cheers,
Number Six

smiley - mod


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 9

Stephen

Will look at the above comments when I get home tonight.

re the tag I got that from the list of tags to use any ideas for a better way of separating the different cinemas.


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 10

Number Six

How about doing a for each cinema?

smiley - mod


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 11

Sea Change

This is very much like what kind of entry should be in the Edited Guide!

Popcorn, snacks, and soda are all part of the expected moviegoing event here in the United States. Is this true for the UK? I'd want to know about value and pricing: is the popcorn tasty, do they water their fizzy drinks, do they charge way too much?

Perhaps because I am here in LA, where the entertainment starts, I want to know more information. Often because of high land values, one gets tiny-screened theaters here that are barely better than a projection-screen television operated by projectionists who don't know or care about their craft, or who have too many projectors to watch. I'd want to know: the screen sizes, the screen conditions, the likelihood that the film will be in focus, the likely nature of your fellow audience (is the film volume high enough to drown out coughs, are they talkers, or is a particular theater likely to have screaming kids?).

What's parking like around each theater, and how much does it cost? This will help the guy inviting his girl along for the first date not get caught short of cash.


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 12

Bluebottle

You could also mention that although the seats in Ster Century are new, the drink holder is annoyingly very low down near your toes making picking up and putting down the drink very difficult. It has good toilet facilities, though... I've also heard claims that the screens in the Ster Century are the largest non-IMAX screens in Europe - perhaps it would be useful to find out if this is indeed true?

<BB<


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 13

Bluebottle

On Wednesday my fiance and I went to the Hyde Park Picture House Cinema and saw the 1926 classic German film "Metropolis", which was great. There was live piano music accompanying the film and the cinema had a great atmosphere - full of students enjoying a masterpeice film.
Admittedly it is a single-screen cinema, but with live music, an actual outside ticket-booth, old fashioned stage, balcony and a general 1930s feel, the Hyde Park Picture House must be one of Leeds best cinemas. (On the down side it is hard to find being along a 20mph road with endless speedbumps and no signposts).

<BB<


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 14

Number Six

Single screen cinemas are the best, I reckon. Multiplexes might be very popular, but to me they seem soulless and lack atmosphere - and most of them have all the architectural merit of an aircraft hangar.

But, as Paul Weller said, the public gets what the public wants...

smiley - mod


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 15

Geggs

The author has left the building.

Propose a move to the Flea Market.


Geggs


A1311328 - Leeds Cinemas

Post 16

GreyDesk

Seconded smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post