A Conversation for Hypatia's Grande Tour - Part Seven

:-)

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying reading your grande tour notes Hyp?smiley - ok Did you make notes as you went along or save it all in your head until just after, or are you remembering it all now?!


:-)

Post 2

Hypatia

Why thank you, mam. smiley - smiley I started out keeping good notes. Then I started making brief ones. So, I'm working from memory, postcards, souvenir guides and the remarks made in the atelier as we went along. That's why I should have written it all up ages ago instead of leaving it so late. On the other hand, I probably have a better perspective on it all now. And fortunately people seem to be enjoying it.


:-)

Post 3

LL Waz

It's good to see how the place looks to fresh eyes. I'll be going on my first ride on the Eye this Saturday, Hyp, I'll look out for Australia.

I'll get back with some Salopian views to add to these slopin' ones smiley - winkeye.

Waz


:-)

Post 4

Hypatia

The view really is spectacular. I hope you have clear skies for it. therwise you may only see to Gibralter. smiley - winkeye


:-)

Post 5

Hypatia

Wonders if Waz saw Australia......


:-)

Post 6

LL Waz

Not even Gibralter. But I saw the Gherkin, and it ought to be in Australia. It's as relatively incongruous as a Kangaroo.

Tell you what else I saw smiley - smiley, ripe mulberries in Kew Gardens. And no park keeper to tell us not to scrump.


:-)

Post 7

Hypatia

I've heard several UK folk say they like mulberries. The variety you have must have more flavor than ours. Ours are sweet but without much flavor.

Shame about Australia. smiley - laugh But the view is pretty awesome anyway.


:-)

Post 8

LL Waz

Certainly is - loved being that high above London. Looking down on the gulls flying over the river.

Mulberries can be watery - these were Kew class though. It was so dry and hot there on Sunday, walking through the Mediterranean gardens bit you could hear the broom seed pods cracking open.


:-)

Post 9

Hypatia

Do they let the gardners there water the plants? Or is the ban in effect there, too?

Birds like mulberries. They will eat them instead of blueberries, so blueberry growers around here plant them around the outside of the fields to attract the birds.


:-)

Post 10

LL Waz

There's no way they can't have been watering the herbaceous borders by the Palace, they were beautiful. And the patch of grass we lay on beside the Indian Bean tree was quite long and green and by two sprinkler standpoints.

So I guess they water to some extent. They're so close to the river, they might be drawing from that - that wouldn't be banned.

Bridgnorth, in Shropshire, waters all its plants for the best beflowered town competition (or whatever it's called) by taking water direct from the Severn because they couldn't afford the water bills otherwise.

Mulberries around blueberry fields - nice.


:-)

Post 11

Hypatia

The plants at these large gardens are pretty valuable. I'd think they would get special disposition or something during a drought.

I wish we had something as cool as Kew nearby. The nearest nice garden to me is 300 miles. smiley - wah


:-)

Post 12

LL Waz

You're right, Kew has specimen plants, doesn't it. They must either use river water or have some special licence

Kew is special. Sunday was only the second time I'd ever been and we only got round a quarter of it at most.

My favourite garden garden (I think of Kew as more parkland/arboretum) is a Scottish one - at Crathies Castle neer Aberdeen.

It has several linked small walled gardens, colour coordinated, ancient and enormous yew hedges, rose arched pathways, grass with large specimen trees and all surrounded by woodland.


:-)

Post 13

Hypatia

Sounds lovely. I'll bet Teuchter has been there. smiley - biggrin She's from Aberdeen.

I hope to get to Scotland someday. But I doubt if it is on my next trip. I plan to be over there again in the spring.


:-)

Post 14

LL Waz

Crathes - no 'e'.

The images on a google search don't do it justice
but http://www.ruralbritaintours.com/images/crathescastlegdn.jpg has one walled garden,

http://thumb14.webshots.com/t/63/63/8/81/82/2381881820014026074ixmzzK_th.jpg shows a couple of the ridiculous yews,

http://stockscotland.com/images/rc0312.jpg I think is the blue garden.

The yellow garden was my favourite. Yellow and white flowered plants and shrubs and these tall, slender, almost black columns of yew on the grass square in the middle to set them off.


:-)

Post 15

Hypatia

My sister is nuts over blue flowers. I think they're all pretty. I'm a flower slut. smiley - laugh


:-)

Post 16

LL Waz

If she's from Aberdeen she won't have missed it. You must get to Scotland sometime Hyp. And don't believe what boots said about Aberdeen smiley - winkeye. I love the place. Really interesting and very old city, miles of empty beaches, ancient woodlands, mountains...

I believe you're coming to a London meet smiley - yikes? AR1 mentioned it.


:-)

Post 17

Hypatia

Baring being hit by a bus or eaten by grizzly bears. AR1 is a dear. I need to get to know her better.

So, you should come to the meet.


:-)

Post 18

LL Waz

I'll give it thought... knowing I'd know at least one person there would make a difference.

We're always referring to being hit by the proverbial bus, at work. It's getting tired. I'm going to start using becoming the grizzly bear's lunch and see if I can start a new trend.

smiley - zzzs due, 'night Hyp smiley - smiley.


:-)

Post 19

Hypatia

Night. Sweet dreams.


Key: Complain about this post