Talking Point: Four-letter Words

39 Conversations

A man, swearing, with his foul mouth fuzzed out?

Four-letter words. What a funny euphemism. But actually, a cursory flick through one's mental dictionary picking out the naughty words here and there does in fact reveal that lots of these disgusting utterances comprise just that - four letters! And how can four tiny weeny letters arranged in a certain order, cause such shock and offence? (For instance, the word 'work' has been known to make certain staff members at h2g2 pass out.)

But seriously folks, this week we're talking foul language. Do swear words supply, as one journalist calls it, 'industrial' grit to contemporise and steel-up modern-day language? Do they add anything? Or is it all a load of old crap?

Get talking. And mind your bloody language!

  • Swearing - is it bad language or simply language?

  • Is there too much swearing on TV?

  • Does it detract from what someone is trying to say?

  • Or are swear words simply the way that people speak, and should therefore be considered acceptable and normal?

  • Irving Welsh or Jane Austen?

Graphic supplied by Community Artist Peet the Pedantic.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1302517

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more