A Conversation for Discussions Related to the Lifetime Ban of Researcher AWOL

No Subject

Post 1

Grandpa BIRIYANI

So in these posts that were posted how do ya know summat was so offensive ??....& what would you call offensive ???...


houserules

Post 2

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

the posts broke the <./>houserules</.> which are the terms and conditions that everyone accepts when they register with the site.

Researchers reported them and the moderators removed them if they agreed that they broke the houserules.


houserules

Post 3

Grandpa BIRIYANI

But what do ya call offensive ??.??....theres certain words that go wgo with certain phrases etc..if ya know wot i mean ??...



also,for some1 to post alleged offensive posts,dont ya think they may be replying to posts which they thought may av been offensive ??...it works both way etc...

ps...if it was just swear words,is there a possibility of a seperate section on h2g2 to which users can click on using say another password,therefore it wouldnt be viewed by folk who dont want to see it ...


do ya follow me so far ??


houserules

Post 4

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

mild swearing is acceptable, but if stronger language is needed then the smiley - bleep smiley can be used or **** all but the first and last letters of a word such as s**t etc

If an insulting or aggressive/ offensive post was made and a reply made, then both posts would have been removed. The other researcher would have had the post removed but unless they continued to carry on posting offensive material then usually the worst that happens is they get put on 'pre-mod' which means their posts are checked by the moderators before being allowed onsite.

Besides, if someone posts something that annoys you, surely it shows a higher intelligence if you can reply in a way that gets your point across that doesnt involve excessive swearing and rudeness. We can all swear and shout, but not many try to defend their opinions without it!!

My idea of offensive is racial, aggressive, bigotted, foul posts.
But the <./>houserules</.> have the full breakdown of what is and isn't considered offensive.

As you can see from the details on the page that this thread is attached to, the researcher was given many warnings and had many chances to modify his behaviour towards other researchers.



There is not an 'adult only' part of the site and I doubt that there ever will be as this is not what the site is about.


houserules

Post 5

Grandpa BIRIYANI

So if a researcher suggests something ,ie,adult page,you say it wont work ???....why not put it to a debate ???...see what folk think etc....it could work ya know !!


houserules

Post 6

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I agree, and the best place for a site debate is on <./>askh2g2</.>

Many such discussions have been made on a suggestion from a researcher - such as should we have a chat room, a games area etc

It is not that i don't think ana dult area wouldnt work, but it isn't what the bbci wants to do, (as far as i am aware) it is a family website.

But starting a discussion about it will certainly bring up the views of other researchers.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Discussions Related to the Lifetime Ban of Researcher AWOL

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more