A Conversation for Star Trek - The Project

Star Trek- Impact on Culture

Post 1

jovive

Star Trek was the concept of a single mind. However, it has influenced scientists and great thinkers the world over. With Star Trek, we suddenly has a vision of the future worth working toward.

Star Trek is also one of the only shows that took on serious social issues in a extremely watchable format. Over the seasons the series has covered issues as wide ranging as interracial relations, aging, slavery, destiny versus free will and so on.

Last, Star Trek has helped bring science fiction into science fact.T The 3.5 floppy disk and the cell phone all have their design roots in the Original Star Trek series. Wearable computers and PDA's share much in common with the communicators and tricorders as far as physical design.


Okay, this is a huge rough outline. More later.


Star Trek- Impact on Culture

Post 2

Atlantic_Cable

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been offline for ages due to stupid people at my ISP company.

This sounds like an excellent entry, and I would love to link it in. Have you considered submitting it for review? I think it would make a great addition to the guide.


Key: Complain about this post

Star Trek- Impact on Culture

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more